Fans of "How It's Made" TV Show Here?

Page 2 of 3
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:08:24 -0500, "LLBrown"

http://lindsaybks.com/prod/allbks.html Machinery Reference #57 Metal Spinning      21370     $4.95
Metal Spinning      4830     $9.95
Unka' George [George McDuffee] ===========Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.
✖
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I like the show. I just wish they would go more into detail on the processes. I'd rather have two detailed items than four or five "quickies".
Jim Chandler
Add pictures here
✖

Amen-- Indeed, the pithy-er version of my rant.
Altho "wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am" did have some edumacational ring to it, no? :)
--
------
✖

Years ago, I worked conventions for a long time. We had one called "the pack show" which consisted of machines used in automated packaging of anything. Whole car wash assemblies, whole dry cleaners assemblies, whole manufacturing assembles, as well as thousands of small individual special function machines. It was fascinating to go to the show when it was up and running, and see how they do it. They were packaging things faster than you could see. The really interesting ones had shape recognition, and would align the contents by computer recognition before packaging. Like I say, fun to go and watch.
And yes, I do love to watch How's It Made, as their shows cover the commonest of things, many of which I had wondered about. Many times, the way they do it is so very simple, one wants to slap themself in the forehead and say, "Duh!"
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

I'm often amazed at the common items that sell for a buck or two require some expensive and sophisticated machinery to accomplish the end result. Ed
Add pictures here
✖
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Volume volume volume...
The segment on end mills was quite impressive. Makes you wonder why they don't cost more than they do.
For the woodworkers, how about that coffin segment?
Pete C.
Add pictures here
✖
My only complaint is it started out as "Comment C'est Fait" and was a French Language only Show, Once Discovery realized Hey people are interested they translated the voiceovers WITHOUT checking them against the industry they came from.
IT drives me nuts
French Has less words than english so they use multiple words to describe a process
English Has more words to specically describe a process
The Translators and poducers not checking against somone in the industry for example call anything involving joining metals Soldering (Safe episode a guy welding safes with a MIG welder was "Soldering the safe") and there are rampant examples f it from early n in the series (I think it took like 4 seasons before it was caught)
the Reason for it though is that in French the word for Soldering Brazing and welding is ALL the same word which is literally soldering But if you need to specify you say the process such as Soudure a Gaz (Oxy-Fuel) or Soudure A TIG to specify.
(By the same logic a guy assembling circuit boards and one who welds ships are both called a "Soudeur")
its one of those things that drives me nuts due to how easy it should have been to check and catch and usually its NOT the slightest bit difficult to check back and confirm.

Add pictures here
✖

I noticed that... There is a web site somewhere that has a lot of the older shows archived... When I first got bit by the bug to see the shows... Someone sent me the link and I spent about 18 hours straight at my PC watching episodes of all the shows they had...
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖
Yes, it is filmed in Quebec which has its own version of French. Here in Canada we get the English translation often with the wrong words because trade terms and trade slang cannot be literally translated unless you know the industry in both languages. I used to work in the natural gas utility that had a Quebec division, and I had to get English translated into Quebec French, our local translator could do OK on most copy but failed to know the industry terms used in Quebec, we had to forward our translations for approval/editing by the Quebec division.
On the show, they frequently use the wrong terms, mispronounce the correct terms and many of the Canadian versions have a woman with a harsh irritating voice. When I travel in the US I notice she is replaced by another voice that is easier to listen to.

✖
<<My only complaint is it started out as "Comment C'est Fait" and was a French Language only Show, Once Discovery realized Hey people are interested they translated the voiceovers WITHOUT checking them against the industry they came from.>>
At least on How It's Made they have a narrator who appears to be a native English speaker. Discovery (Science Channel) has another French Canadian show that they have run using a woman who, although she does not have a pronounced accent, is clearly a native French speaker who also happens to know English. She occasionally uses idioms that sound odd in English. It is possible that during her narration she might have spotted those and pointed them out to the producer who chose to ignore her suggestions, or she might have been hesitiant or afraid to say anything and kept her thoughts to herself. It's more likely that she simply didn't pick up on them. There have been other instances where she has mispronouced some common, everyday words that no native speaker would.
Lee

_________________________________
✖

The original is in English, I've got the entire series, straight from Canada, with the original Canadian voiceover. All English.
Add pictures here
✖

Plonk

✖

Me too, I've got all 8 seasons archived. Great show.
Add pictures here
✖

Eight seasons?!? I've missed a lot then... Too bad it's not available via Blockbuster or Netflix online rentals...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

i wonder how much discovery sells the seasons videos for?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:56:39 GMT, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

WWW.tvtorrents.com http://www.tvtorrents.com/loggedin/show.do?idE7 You will need a bitorrent client like Azureus. Season 7 and 8 online...
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:18:04 +1200, Geoff

You forgot to mention the need to contribute money to buy 'credits' or upload a show that isn't already on there.
I'd sooner give money to that evil money grabbing bastard Murdoch than fund a private torrent site.
Add pictures here
✖

Plonk

✖

Count me as a fan.
✖
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I love the show. It's Canadian quirks just make it more amusing. I suppose if I wasn't reasonably knowledgeable about most of what they show then the mistranslation might be more of a problem.
It's great to see some of the amazing ingenuity on the various massive production lines. The occasional surprise too, like that hard candy with the text in it... Expected some big 50' long multi screw extruder, not hand lay-up into a giant log.
Pete C.
Add pictures here
✖