Fans of "How It's Made" TV Show Here?

Page 1 of 3
No... I don't work for them, get $ or anything else...
I'm a huge fan of the TV show and now this is an interesting web site that seems to have the same type of info in a different format...
http://www.madehow.com /
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖
It seems similar to Ratzenberger's Made in Merka, altho I haven't seen enough of either to thoroughly compare. Ditto some of the Modern Marvels stuff on History Channel.
I find, tho, a kind of wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am quality to many of these shows, in that when all is said and done, I often haven't taken away a lot, ito of real understanding. Yeah, I see a lotta shit goin on, and yeah, most it's inneresting (entertaining??), but none of it really "registers".... Could be my ADHD/diluted meds......
But, occasionally you do see something you can relate to. For example, on Made in Merka, with U.S. Pole (no foolin, an outside lighting company using, you guessed it, big-assed poles), I saw spinning for the first time, and saw immediately that any muthafucka with a lathe and a handmade wooden die, and some kind of lever, can spin!
But, as long as they don't stick in this unRealityTV Merkin Chopper-type emotional fukndrama, I cain't complain too much. Literally cain't watch 'Chopper (it went from interesting to peculiar to just bad to nauseating), or any of those other bullshit car shows, anymore. Esp. the ghetto ones. goodgawd..... yo.
What is always at once fascinating and quite intimidating is looking at these gonzo facilities and all the mechanization (and computerization), with the realization that Sheeit, all that shit is a *custom made one-off*, just for that application! wow... Be it flipping KrispyfuknCreme donuts, bagging Lays taterchips, bottling soders, putting soles on shoes, making tires, whatever, I always ask, Goodgawd, just how much did all that mechanized artistry *cost*, and how did they goddamm AFFORD it????
Wow....
Makes moms'n'pops seem like a miracle.
And, In what's left of my conspiracy-theorized brain, I wonder if all this isn't by some design, where through the guise of entertainment/edumacation, some *intimidation* is not going on.... Or, put alternatively, My dick is so fukn big you all better not even pull yours's out.... Another way of keeping the rabble in place, chewing their low-carb cud, and swilling Coke.
Along these lines, my own 15" is somewhat of a solace, but not much, since ahm *still* fukn broke. Not as broke as jb, or as unstable (cuz my case my bennies cover my meds), but still, perty broke....
Oh shit, Paris just came on..... gotta go.
--
------
✖

Google "Industry on Parade". You can find some of the video online
Gunner
This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Add pictures here
✖

I have a good laugh about "how it's made", can you think of ANY TV show with lower production costs? I think the former record was held by the PBS show that had a chopper flying over places, taking pictures and setting it to mucsic. This show doesn't even have to hire a chopper, and most of the time there is NO ONE in it.
About the metal spinning and how easy it looked (another fellow brought it up).... it does LOOK easy, almost any craft does when watching experts. I expect I would wind up with my blood all over the walls. There is a spinning video on youtube and the spinner is missing a couple of fingers.
LLB
Add pictures here
✖
Thu, Jul 12, 2007, 10:08am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (LLBrown) doth sayeth: <snip> I have a good laugh about "how it's made", can you think of ANY TV show with lower production costs? I think the former record was held by the PBS show that had a chopper flying over places, taking pictures and setting it to mucsic. <snip> About the metal spinning and how easy it looked (another fellow brought it up).... it does LOOK easy, almost any craft does when watching experts. <snip>
I like How It's Made, because it gives a lot of information I probably wouldn't come across otherwise. Personally, I consider it a 'reality' show, because it deals with things that everyday people use and can relate with.
Most every thing looks easy, because the ARE easy. The hard part is learning to do them well, and/or without killing yourself, or someone else. Or injuring yourself so badly you have to have someone care for you the rest of yur life.
I wish someone would bring Monster Garage, and/or Junkyard Wars, back. No way they were 'reality' shows, but great entertainmen, and I even learned a few things from then. American Hot Rod would hav been fine, if they had kept Boyd Coddington off the show - watcing hs people work I learned some stuff - he was just annoying. American chopper, bleah, just annoying, they should put on Southern Steel in its place, much better looking bikes, and everyone works well together, entertaining, and inspiring.
✖

This is the whole premise for most of the New Genre of ShitTV. Zero SAG costs. Some may be lower than others, but all are dert cheap, production-wise.
Altho, as of late, the concentration of bullshit in ShitTV is so intense, they need more and more """writers""" and producers to choreograph/coordinate said bullshit.
I remember a ditty on This Old House, the progenitor for all that followed house-wise, where it took about 15 takes to get a piece of goddamm sheetrock correct.... Sleight of hand, even back then.
Cain't get much cheaper than Mike Rowe, on Dirty Jobs. I mean, what's he got? Him, one camera guy, and an digital editor. And Mike, I bleeve, does his own writing/scripting. Intelligent guy. One of the few watchable programs. Wish he would do something more along the lines of "interesting jobs". Or, jobs period, to give a cross section of Merkin Werkin Class Misery.
Whilst jobs still exist.
--
------
✖
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Regardless of the production costs, they still manage to take a camera in and up close to machines and processes that an average citizen would never be able to see. That's the value of the show.
Add pictures here
✖
Dan Murphy here on AMC posts links to videos of machining stuff once in a while. Some really neat stuff.
--
------
✖

Wow. I think this is the first post I've ever read by you that didn't have a word spelled in PVspeak... <evil grin>
V8013-R
Add pictures here
✖

My bad... Should have read,
"Some really neat stuff, yo."
Note: Since "yo" and "bea" are essentially syntactically equivalent, one can use them interchangeably, pretty much at one's caprice.... bea.
Methinks we have too much free time. :)
--
------
✖

Here's most of what I have up at the mo'
<http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tsugami+cnc
Or I guess you could follow the link in the sig <duh> I forgot about that.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
✖
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:54:12 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"

An excellent show!
My wife likes Mike's pecs. <G>
Ever seen Survivorman? That would really get your SAG dander up! Imagine this... A guy with an idea makes up his own show, writes the music. "performs it", films it, edits it, and doesn't have to pay a bunch of do-nothings to sit around and collect union-scale!
Are you a SAG member or a member of one of the various lame-ass production unions?
I used to love when one of my touring crew members slid a stage monitor 5 feet, and the union house dickheads tried to organize a penalty strike. All because nobody spent 1/2 hour+ trying to find and peel one of them away from the crew buffet or outdoor smoking area long enough to move it for us. <G>
✖
Unions are GREAT. (If you're a business agent, and official, or part of the staff.)
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

Pehaps you should ask why we should be providing a free lunch in the first place. Instead of pissing and moaning about some proposed policy change from a quarter century ago.
If people can't provide three squares a day for their own progeny, perhaps they should be punished for being dirtbags, their kids taken away, and put in a place where they are taken care of properly. At least until such a time as the "parents" get their acts together. Sheesh. Even if you are on food stamps the least you can do is get your lazy ass out of bed in the morning and slap together a PB&J for the little bastards to take to school for lunch.
Did you raise any children? Did you feed them?
You have the sensibilities of a four year old child. Or is that your "liberal values" shining through?
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
✖

Wow! While I can agree with much of the first part of your email, I cannot for the life of me understand how you can see school lunches, at approximately $2.25 (including all subsidies from Federal, State and local sources) per meal as "expensive". Have you eaten out recently? As to nutritionally substandard, I do not think that you have read any of the nutrition requirements that must be met by a school lunch program in order to be eligible for federal subsidy. You may or may not like the taste of whatever is being served at your local program, but I would dare say that the nutritional values in the whole meal are probably far above what most kids (poor, rich, middle class, black, white, or green) are receiving at home for lunches. Don't even start on the sugar coated carbs being served to most kids for breakfast - when their (again poor, rich, middle class, black, white, or green) parents get their asses out of bed early enough to actually feed them breakfasts. Of all of the welfare programs in existence, the least arguable one is the school lunch program, in my opinion. They can't trade the meals in for drugs like food stamps or housing vouchers. They can't destroy it like welfare housing. They can't use it to buy $150 sneakers like welfare checks. It is food to be consumed. Yeah, they can throw too much away, eat the crap portion and leave the good stuff on the plate, etc., etc., but it is a direct benefit to a child. Not to the lazy asses that can't or won't feed them, not to some landlord that charges mansion rents on subsidized hovels, not to guys driving 2007 caddys to the bank to cash the welfare check. Wow!
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
✖
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Were you aware that a "Merkin" is a pubic wig as well as a corruption of "American", it came up recently on the BBC program "Balderdash & piffle". I makes your comment quite amusing. See http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxmerkin.html , google also has pictures of merkins.

Add pictures here
✖

So I guess when I shorten my Great American Pubic (Public) to Merkin Pubic, it becomes semi-redundant, eh? I'll have to watch that. Boy, itsa small lexicographical world, idnit?? :)
What was/is the purpose of a pubic wig, fergodsakes??
Every time I think our culture is guilty of unwarranted and unprecedented stupidity, I find out I'm wrong. :)
--
------
✖
J T wrote:

The "Monkey Rescue" episode showed the whole crew at one time or another.
Add pictures here
✖