fair price for used 14" delta band saw?

Hi,
I would appreciate some feedback on this question.
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Delta 14" bandsaw. The guy selling it says that it has been in storage for the past 15 years. He used to be in the cabinet business but retired some years ago. He said that he didn't use it much (about 100 hours on the machine.)
* riser block installed * 1 1/2 horsepower motor * closed stand
He is asking about $450-500 for the machine. Is that a fair price?
I haven't actually seen the machine yet. He is pulling it out of storage and I'll see him later in the week. I've looked on Ebay and past newsgroup postings for used prices but I haven't really found any pricing information.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

My cutoff on used equipment is 50% of new. I'd say that puts you closer to $300.
todd
thanks for the feedback.
I agree with Todd, I have always used the 50% marker for used equipment and then adjust from there how old is it, The condition, so forth and so on.
But what i would highly recommend and this is from experience with Delta in the past two weeks. Delta appears to make changes with their machinery every now and then, And when they do they change model numbers and even though you can use the model Number and go to their web site and download a PDF file on the parts breakdown they discontinue the parts on the older model Numbers. And when they run out they just tell you unavailable.
I just recently have been subjected to that with two machine's
Even though the Delta 14" Bandsaw has been around longer than dirt and has benn the standard that all others have copied over the years, I would get the Model Number and serial number before negotiating this deal.
Good Luck, George

With good equipment in running condition 75% is a reasonable upper point. What you have is about 1,000 bucks new, assuming you could get such well-aged castings and fine a finish on a new one.
FWIW, at our school we have a Rockwell which has been in constant (ab)use by kids for forty years, and a Grizzly which sits idle, because - everyone ready? THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

You guys made some very good suggestions. I'll do a little further checking.
Thanks again.
I am neither a band saw expert, nor a Delta historian, and although I've bought a couple of band saws in the past, I could still be all wet ...but:
The "50% rule" notwithstanding, keep in mind that depending upon the model and condition, you may not be able to buy like quality for that price today ... particularly with regards to the 1.5 HP motor.
I would say it is definitely worth doing some further research.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Carter" <carter.thomas@NO_SPAM_att.net> wrote in message
news:96elb.9531$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
I'd pay around $400 for a 14" Delta BS in good condition with some extras (mobile base, high rise, extra blades, etc).
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:33:57 GMT, "Carter"

No, not to me. That's probably about what he -paid- for it back then and not much less than a new one today. A new Jet 1hp is $469, Bridgewood 15 is $319, and a Grizzly Ultimate 14 is $415 plus $50 for a riser, for example. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?ItemNumber=G0555
I'm wondering if they made a 1.5hp motor for the Deltas back then, before the marketing departments started calling them 6hp.
I'd offer him $250 and let him know that you may have to put new bearings in it after that long storage time, but I'm both cheap and frugal. ;)
---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it. http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
The trouble with citing the "50% rule" is that people don't go on to explain the "rest of the rule".
http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/MachineryValue.asp
Oh, and buy the saw.
UA100
pixelated:

I'm more inclined to go with somewhere between Steve's "scrap value" for rusty stuff and your 50% as an extreme top value for a perfect tool with everything on it, including anchovies. Most things I've seen would be 20-30% of -original- new price.

At THAT price? ---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it. http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

Did I stutter?
UA100
pixelated:

You shameless spendthrift, you.
- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
Larry Jaques wrote:

When asked, "have you ever suffered from buyer's remorse?", ten out of ten woodorkers will tell you, "yes".
When asked, "did it subside?", ten out of ten wooddorkers will tell you, "yes with time and usage of the (insert name of item here)".
When asked, "do you have any other regrets with a tool/machine buy?", ten out of ten wooddorkers will reply, "yes, it was with the one that got away".
At this point they go on to describe in crisp detail the circumstances, the weather that day, what they were wearing, what they'd had for breakfast, the tool/machine and the price they *coulda got it for*.
I rest my case yer honor.
UA100
My thanks to all that replied.