Fact or Fiction - LEDs don’t produce heat

Page 1 of 2
We report, you decide.
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/2005/05/fact-or-fiction-leds-don-t-produce-heat.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_management_of_high-power_LEDs

Ok, So it seems that LEDS waste about 70% of the energy that they consume and that energy becomes heat.
Unless they are IR LEDs
In so much that the typical LED, and all of the ones I have purchased, use 10% or much less energy than a comparable incandescent light I have not witnessed any heat at all. My sampling has included 3-4 ribbons of LEDs, multiple strings of LED Christmas lights all plugged into each other, and a couple of out door 60 watt incandescent coach lights replaced with equivalency light out put LED bulbs. The biggest consumers of electricity of this sampling is 7 watts and even those might only be producing about 1/3 the amount of heat of a typical 7 watt incandescent light bulb.
Show me a single LED that consumed 180 watts by itself and I think it, the LED itself and not the transformer or other involved electronics, will get hot enough to equal a common 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

You will need more sensitve equipment than your fingers to actually measure the heat produced. If you wanted to argue about it someone could, but not me.
On 5/9/2016 6:50 AM, Markem wrote:

Well, I just checked an 60 W equivalent LED in the kitchen and it gets warm around the base. However, when I found a 60 W incandescent it didn't take but about a minute to get too hot to touch. Checking the card a replacement in the drawer is on it says that the 60 W equivalent LED uses 9.5 W. So the answer to the original question, whether LEDs produce heat, is yes. But they produce much less heat than incandescents. I don't expect that a small LED would produce enough heat to be easily detectable by hand.
Bill
On 5/9/2016 6:50 AM, Markem wrote:

LOL.. which is why I mentioned that If my fingers feel no heat at all there for the most part the LEDs that I have used produce no appreciable heat.
I measure heat this way. I feel nothing, I feel a little warmth, I feel something hot that I don't want to touch.
The 7 watt single bulbs get a little warm where the ballast/transformer is located near the screw in base but the bulb itself only gets warm when the sun shines on it. I leave these lights on 24/7 also.

Well, I can tell you a 60 watt LED array produces enough (radiant) heat that you can feel it 5 feet away. (LED aircraft landing / taxi lighting). 10 WATTS PRODUCES ABOUT 30000 CANDELLA AND 1000 LUMENS.
So imagine 60 watts!!!!!!!
On 5/9/2016 10:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have got to imagine voltage plays a large part. My 16' string uses about 48 watts, 12 volt to light up over 500 3528 LEDs. No heat when off the real.

The worst LED bulbs I have used were the C9 replacement for night lights. It melted the plastic fixture, so they went in file 13.

100 watt LED gets VERY hot, very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBIqaeiE2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnP-6EZ3ZQ

On 5/9/2016 7:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Well even a blind hog.....LOL
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:42:06 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

I think a detailed spreadsheet is in order...any volunteers? :)

Another 100W LED 'blind hog' dealing with the heat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaJQ2fo4poU

On 5/9/2016 10:32 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Understood but none of the mega LEDs are anywhere near a home lighting fixture.

I agree 100%.

On 5/9/2016 7:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

So does a 60 watt incandescent blub. LEDs with equivalent light output of common home incandescent lights do not.

Not surprising considering an A19 60W equiv LED consumes 8 - 9.5W and produces no IR.

Exploding LED lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTUa8Ngt-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsZWNM1Iuig

When bread boarding LED's I have burnt my fingers more than once on an over driven LED, the bulbs can take more than the ribbon stuff does.
Just thought I'd throw this into the conversation.
On Mon, 09 May 2016 10:34:46 +0000

they produce heat
will they get to 451 farenheit is what wood workers wanna know
what do the data sheets say at digikey

http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/discrete-directional/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampXML2.pdf
On Mon, 9 May 2016 11:20:27 -0700, Electric Comet

No, but they don't have to get even close to that hot, to burn your house down.