FAceshields

I have several faceshields, all variants of the basic MSA unit, seen here: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Once annoyance is I often get chips or sawdust coming underneath the visor, since it sits several inches away from my face.
Has anyone ever used this model?:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I've not seen it discussed here, but it seems to close in under the chin a bit more.
-- Andy Barss
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:58:47 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:

ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
B001VXXUWK/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
Looks even more uncomfortable than the first one :-).
While I agree that a full face shield is the best protection, I find myself using goggles and a turtleneck leather apron most of the time because I just don't like wearing the shield.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 23:23:11 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

http://fwd4.me/Z37 $5, on sale for $2 often. I buy these cheapies and have been known to tape a handkerchief to the bottom for neck protection. 2" packaging tape works best. Larger bandannas work, too, and you can stuff them down the neck of your shirt. I truly hate weedeater detritus and wire brush pieces bloodying my neck all day.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard
if I am making a lot of chips, I use a 3-M Airmate - if you have the $, I think you would like it

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

Ditto that. The more your face gets enclosed, the more you sweat and the more the visor fogs up. I have a Bullard PAPR I picked up on eBay for cheap. It's great working in an uber hot and dusty environment and have clean air gently cool your head.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:58:47 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

I use a face shield and have reconciled myself to the fact that chips may get under it. To deal with them, I wear a shirt with a high collar (or use a towel under the neck) when I wear short sleeved shirts. I also use a dust respirator just when I'm cutting.
I've tried out the full face shield you referred to and found that sweat and the entirely closed face surface led to fogging up and misting of the face shield even though it was not supposed to experience those problems. It did however, prevent all dust from bothering me.