Faceshield

Anyone using a full face faceshield like this for any non-lathe woodworking (to satisfy Lobby, I'm looking for something that will fit in my dishwasher... ; ) ? Seems like I saw a few people wearing them at The Woodworking Shows.

I guess there's almost no limit to what you can protect against kickback, etc. One reviewer who had a lathe throw a log into this mouth, knocking out a few teeth, swears now by the unit below.

Uvex S8510 Bionic Black Matte Faceshield with Clear Anti-fog Hardcoat Visor

long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying something like this might help ease my pain. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Absolutely. I haven't worn goggles in the shop for about fifteen years now; instead, I use one of these:

windows are available at Do-It-Best hardware stores for about half the cost of the complete unit. In Indianapolis, Bill, that's Sullivan Hardware.

If you do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup for "faceshield" you'll find numerous posts where I've said "there are other things on your face worth protecting besides your eyes."

And they come in handy even when you wouldn't necessarily expect it -- who'd a thunk that a *bandsaw* would eject a small cutoff backward at high speed? A few years ago, I was cutting a notch out of the corner of a piece of red oak when suddenly PING! the waste piece (about a 1cm cube) bounced off the faceshield right in front of my nose.

Reply to
Doug Miller

>> As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying

I wear one, but not as spendy as that. Mine is like this:

it has saved my noggin a couple times. I have a couple of them so that I can have a visitor wear one. All my hits have been off the lathe, but I wear it for any power tool use.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I do have one handy in the shop in case the task at hand waves a huge red flag, which is not often enough.

I should use it more ... although safety glasses are used often, the face shield, a light one, is simply too awkward and hot in this climate for it to become the habit it should be.

Reply to
Swingman

>> As long as I'm throwing perfectly good money at dishwashers, buying

Ki9nda like Swingman indicated, depending on the climate it might be way too uncomfortable to wear all the time. I don't like any thing fogging up in fromt of me and or cupped around my face.

BUT the one you are looking at certainly is not cost prohibitive and you will not be out much in the event you find it too restrictive or uncomfortable of full time use and or have available for those times that comfort is trumped by safety. I'd go for it.

HOWEVER concerning cleaning in the dishwasher, that might not be a good idea. Most dishwasher detergents are abrasive and could cloud the shield. And the heat could melt it if not dishwasher safe. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It will be a shame if you ever have anything worth while to say as I will miss it.

Reply to
Leon

You should at least go with a supplied air mask, Bill:

or the trendier
the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Read the customer revies closely.

I shopped around for faceshields like those. I read quite a few customer reviews and one thing came up over and over: for one of the models that enclosed the face (forget which one) the plastic stinks to the point that the users couldn't wear them. It might dissipate with time.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Let he who has not bumped the top of his head in the shop laugh first... For the time begin, I'll need to stick with more value-oriented products. I think even thinking about safety like this once in a while is good practice. And there may be one person reading this who will identify a way they can further protect something that is difficult to fix or replace.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Throw caution to the wind, go with one of these:

FrozenNorth

Peace!

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leon asks:

---------------------------- "George W Frost" answers:

------------------------------

Leon, As my mother often reminded me, "Son, if you are going to mess with chicken crap, you are bound to get some on you."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Powered respirators are definitely a must, especially when using power tools.

I can remember when I'd do a bit of sanding and come out of the garage coughing and spluttering dreadfully. Now I can stand in a cloud of dust so thick I can hardly see the other end of the garage (yes, OK, I am exaggerating a bit ) with no problem.

The cool airflow down across the front of your face makes life quite comfortable and prevents any fogging.

One of my daughters works in the "respiratory investigation" department of a large hospital and what she has to say about the effects of dust in the lungs and the quality of life (lack of) it results in, would scare the s**t out of anybody. One of my other daughters is in the radiotherapy department of a different hospital planning treatment for cancer patients.

Believe me, a proper powered respirator is dirt cheap for the benefits it brings, especially in places like the U.S. where you have to find the money for your own medical treatment.

Reply to
Stuart

The quickest, nicest answer is to twit-filter early and often.

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Already a done deal.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Jack Stein

You work in an area where you are likely to encounter high levels of CO2?

Reply to
Stuart

Huh? You're kidding, right?

Both work on ambient room air that you'd be breathing anyway.

-- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Stuart" wrote:

------------------------------ Naw, it gets used to detect Jack's hot air.

BTW, a trip to WW Grainger and less than $15, problem solved.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

Two comments:

1) Get something with easily replaceable shields, and get several spares. That way when the change the design in a few years you don't find out the new shields won't fit. DAMHIKT

2) I used to buy Uvex safety glasses with the anti-fog coating. The coating works great for a while, and then it gets cloudy. Eventually, it's worse than looking through fog. At least for safety glasses, they expect you to trash them before the coating gets too bad. They may have improved the coating since I had problems, but I would never buy a Uvex product with that coating on it. Instead, I get glasses with the scratch resistant coating, and they last a LOT longer. However, fogging is going to be much more of an issue with a full face shield like the one shown. I use much simpler ones like others have linked to, and they are open enough that fog usually isn't an issue.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White