faceframe question

Page 1 of 2
I have a problem screwing my faceframes together.The wood splits. The wood is hickory.Does anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.
are you pre-drilling?
dave
1ko wrote:

Ohh, of course he's pre-drilling! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
Dowels Dave

Pocket Holes?
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - GMC LS950SPJ Scrolling Jigsaw - Triton Powered Respirator - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo - Band Saw Handbook ------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I was thinking. The step drill that is used by the Kreg jig and others does a decent job of pre-drilling for the screw, which might take care of this problem for him. Hickory isn't the easiest wood to work with, but it sure looks nice.

Sorta correct or uh half correct... The Kreg bit pre-drills only one board and the function of the thin part of the bit on the end is not to prevent the screw from splitting the wood. Its intended purpose is to prevent the screw from threading into the first board. This prevents a gap from forming and not close between the 2 pieces of wood. The Screw uses no predrilled hole in the second piece of wood as it is self tapping.

Good point. Of course, I know this, but um, yeah.

I guess it depends on which piece is splitting. I've had cherry faceframes split, even though I'm using actual Kreg screws, and I can see hickory doing the same. If the second piece is the one that's cracking, I'm not coming up with any ideas. If it's teh part where the pocket is made, back off on the clutch a lot.
Dave Hinz

faceframes
Humm I'll keep that in mind... I have never had Oak, Maple, Walnut, Mahogany, Poplar, or SYP split using the properly threaded Kreg screw.
If the second piece is the one that's cracking, I'm

Perhaps he is using a standard screw.
I say again, dowels. I've never had any wood split using them. Dave
wrote in message .

jig
board
prevent
forming
predrilled
faceframes

What kind of screws are you using?
I've found that Kreg screws used in pocket holes don't split the wood.
Barry
Not enough information.
Are you making pocket holes, are you using a power driver, are you screwing from the rail to stile or stile to rail, what size screw are you using?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

never
Geez..... Face Frame Screws.... What are those....???
Pocket Hole Screws. These don't split wood even if you don't use them in a pocket hole.
"Leon" wrote in message ...

Talking to yourself again, Leon?
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

and Answering.... Yup ,, Uh huh ,,Yes I am..... LOL
Hi Leon
I'd have to disagree on one certain point. If one places the pocket hole so the screw is situated too close to an end of the stock you are screwing into you're almost certain to get a split. There just isn't enough wood around the screw to prevent it.
But, otherwise I agree. I've seen little of the problem using pocket hole specific screws.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID 32
Thank you for the replies.I should have been more specific. I am using a pocket hole jig and 1-1/2 in. pocket hole screws. The split appears in the stile.

I have run into this doing kitchen remodel work. Hickory seems to split if you try to drive a screw within about 2" from the end of the stile. I just cut new pieces when it happens and try to keep screws as far as possible from the end. You could try to drill a pilot hole in the stile by clamping the assembly and using the rail holes as a guide, use dowels or biscuits, or M&T joints. Hickory is not a friendly wood to use with pocket hole assembly.
Alan Bierbaum
web site: http://www.calanb.com