face jointing with a european guard

In demostrations with European guards, they hold the back of the work piece down with one hand on the back until they get to the guard, and then continue by hold the front of the work piece down with one hand.

I have always found that if I don't hold both ends down with equal pressure I get a lousy cut. Obviously that can't be done with a european guard. Are their jointers somehow superior, do they get lousy cuts, or are they just better at it then I am?

Reply to
Tim

Could be your technique. I get the best results with downward pressure on the outfeed table side, with no pressure whatsoever on the infeed table after the piece is past the blade.

Which sounds like your description above.

Obviously, YMMV.

Reply to
Swingman