Face Frames

Any reason why I should not just glue my faceframe to the carcase? The glue surface will be 2" frame on a 1.5" edge. Don't want to nail, kreg or screw it and I'm wondering whether biscuits or dowels would be all that much stronger than the main glue joint itself. Don't see doing extra work if it's not necessary.

Opinions?

Thanx,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Hardly any reason at all. A few biscuits or dowels might make it easier to align, though. I must be one of the "0" people, as I don't understand binary. Tom

Reply to
tom

lol!

Thanx for the confirmation Tom. Alignment won't be a problem so I'll stay with just the glue.

Thanx a 11110100001001000000,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

That's what I did when I made my kitchen cabinets. Of course, I did a test piece first: glued a piece of scrap cherry to the edge of a scrap of panel (basic melamine PCB from the Borg), let it cure 24 hrs, then bashed it with a hammer. The wood failed, not the glue joint.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agreed, Doug. I spent my early years in the aerospace industry. Got a good first hand look at how something could be overengineered to death. As I get older, I seek the best bang for my energy buck. I *could* put a counter sunk screw every 6 inches of the face frame. I'm sure it would hold fine 0 but I can't envision ANY circumstance when I might need such strength.

Just finished putting on the face frame - looks good and I'm sure it ill hold fine.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron