Face Frame Attachment...

I'm currently working on this "large" entertainment center project. I am not a pro - just retired and an amateur woodworker who watches Norm and that sort of thing.

Anyhow, I bought the Kreg 2000 (?) jig kit to assemble some face frames for the project. So far, I have found that the pocket screw system is pretty great - especially if you are like me and have never used it before - speeds things up and really gives nice tight joints.

I am at the point in my project where I need to attach the FF's. Now, I have done this several (many) times in the past. Usually, I glued/nailed or glued/biscuited to attach the FF's.

Since I got this new Kreg kit and the "Mini" which came with it, I was considering attaching FF's with glue and a few PS's using the Mini.

Anyone do this regularly? Seems like it would save a lot of filling/staining nail holes (outside) while admittedly needing some sanding to flush up the PS plugs (inside).

Most of the "boxes" are in place and do not allow clamping from the back because of wall clearance etc.

Any opinions?

Lou

Reply to
loutent

There are many ways that will work. For many many years I simply glued and finish nailed the face frame to the carcus. Now however I dado the face frame onto the carcus and still use a few finish nails to attach. Nail holes do have to be puttied but if you place a piece of masking tape at each location that you intend to place a nail and shoot through the tape you end up with a shield that prevents the putty from getting into the surrounding wood grain. Apply the putty on top of the tape and after the putty dries finish sand the entire face frame. The tape will sand off also.

Reply to
Leon

I thought pocket screw systems were for this? If this isn't practical, I'd biscuit them. I used to put a 3/4" x 3/4" nailer strip inside and fasten thru it so no nail holes in Face and strong.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

The Tape was a nice tip....Thanks!

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Reply to
JGS

Yes, I do, when the pocket hole are in a hidden location or if I simply don't care because it's easy and it's for a shop cabinet.

By hidden, I mean: underside of the carcase base, where the drawers go in a typical "lower" kitchen cabinet or the outside of a side that will be butted up against a wall.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I must be missing something here. I'm also building an entertainment center and I'm planning on attaching the face frame with nothing but glue, just like I've done in the past.

Is the use of other fasteners caused by inability to clamp? Or is there some other reason that glue alone isn't enough?

Reply to
lgb

Hi lgb and all - thanks for the input.

I think that glue alone is fine if you can clamp, but this project is "built in" - into a corner alcove , next to a brick fireplace. Because of the design we wanted, I wanted to build the boxes first, since some of the cabinets actually sit on top of the brick wood storage area. It's a little hard to describe, but basically it's a corner (65 x 65) with a 48 x 48 cabinet area that is up on the bricks to the right. It's also an 11.5 ft tray ceiling, and the top of the EC rises at 45 deg but at a 33 deg angle to the corner. It's an interesting project I have to say. I've never had my RAS at such weird compound angles before!

The actual EC has component storage and drawers under the TV area which I wanted 60w x 42H x 24D (future widescreen). On either side of the TV is speaker and DVD storage slots. Above all that are book cases that follow the slope of the ceiling and tie in with the cabinets to the right, over the fireplace.

Anyhow, some of the lower cabinets, I can clmp the FF to, but the uppers over the FP are already lagged into the brick and have the backs on. Also, the outside of the carcass of those cabinets is not accessible. This is why I was thinking of using pocket screws - at least in that area. Also, since I just got this new Kreg jig, I was toying with using the PS all over and avoid the clamps altogether.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Hi lou..

I have done that before (used pocket screws to attach face frames) However, I only do it when I'm making a unit full of drawers (so they won't be seen) or if it's a built in butted permanently against the wall (not seen).

filled > I'm currently working on this "large" entertainment

Reply to
bf

lgb wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sunsite.dk:

Sometimes, say when hanging Euro cabinet hinges on the face frames, a little extra fastening goes a long way towards peace of mind. Particularly in a household with children regularly in attendance.

Patriarch, not known for 'delicate' furniture engineering...

Reply to
Patriarch

I use a blind nailer for attaching my face frames.

Upscale