Faaaargin' A, what a P.I.T.A.

Just got back from loading the entire (almost) shop and house in NH into a 26' truck and driving it 1402 miles to TN. Man, you don't realize how heavy that cr@p is until you load it into a truck and and then get 9 MPG and pay $1.60 for Diesel fuel.

Had to leave the Jet 14" band saw with riser and the _-BIG-_ bowl lathe, and the living room couches behind. Just wasn't room in the truck!

All my friends agreed the Nova 3000 was heavier that the Jet 10" Cabinet Saw, probably should have taken all that lead ballast out of the base cabinet first, eh?-)

Yes, SWMBO agreed to leave behind the living room set to allow me to make room for my table saw and lathe and 6" jointer! Isn't she GREAT?

-- John G. permanently in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.

JG

Thats a shame. We sold all the furniture (her idea), rented a 14 ft truck and ALL the tools fit in fine.

But, now she gets to buy "new" stuff, have I been tricked ?

_-BIG-_ bowl lathe,

Reply to
Rudy

Not at all. This will come in handy when you want, and are able, to buy new stuff. I find its always better to have Karma in the bank, so to speak, particularly since you never know when you'll run into a great find.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Sold the tools (have better at home), but trailered furniture from mom's some 2400 miles beginning of May. I'm getting too old for 14 hour days behind the wheel.

Furniture was made by dad.

Got no less than 16 MPG on gas, but it was 2.29 in CA.

Reply to
George

George responds:

We took a load of shop stuff and books down about a week ago, in a cargo van. Did the 620 mile round trip in one day. We had planned to do a second trip the next day, but my wife was worn out (I was very grateful she admitted that" I was knackered myself, but...). That's loading in the a.m., unloading in the afternoon, driving back so we got home around 10, after getting up at 5.

Too old is a mild statement. But a cargo van is also one helluva lot more comfortable to drive than a 26 footer, IME.

We'll do a deliberate 2 day deal with a similar cargo van this weekend. Drive down Friday a.m., come back Saturday p.m.

From what a friend tells me, you made out on the gas. He's been paying $2.39.9 for several weeks. Bad enough here at $2.03.9. Virginia was $1.84.9. Another reason for leaving WV.

Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun

Reply to
Charlie Self

Aye, But I'm returning for the lathe and saw and the 600+ Bd. Ft. of

16/4 Air Dried quarter sawn Beech in a few months

Rudy wrote:

Reply to
JG

PITA is right. I've had as many as four storage units full of stuff

600 miles away. I was finally able to pull most of my WW machines out last year (10 hours of driving, 2 hours of loading, 10 more hours of driving, a couple of road side naps; left 0700 Friday morning--got back 1000 Saturday morning--did it all by myself).

Just this last weekend SWMBO and I left our daughter's home in Charlotte, drove 4 hours to the storage units, spent 6½ hours consolidating from 3 down to 2 units, loaded the trailer (actually several times in the consolidating), and hit the road for 10 hours.

We're getting too old for this, too, but it was a good tired.

Until the last gas stop in FL, I had never paid anything for gas that started with the digit "2" since the '60s, and I could have avoided it on the last stop if I'd filled up about 40 miles sooner. Prices seemed to have jumped about 10 cents a gallon in Georgia between Thursday and Saturday.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod