F'd up ply

Page 2 of 2

Yes, from China. Buy questionable logs from us and elsewhere, make the ply and dump it back on our markets. Half of US production capability is idle, and that does not count the companies that have already folded. Do a quick search on the subject.
--
Jim in NC

On 2/26/2014 3:54 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

When I got it home all of it curled up before I got it into my rack. Again Columbia... I have a rack that's true (used string to get all the supports in line), and I clamp them to it vertically.
I'm hesitant to buy sheets from HD.
--
Jeff

I haven't bought any in a year or so, but the last time I bought Oak ply from Lowes, it was pretty good except that the veneer was about as thick as a picture of Oak. The Birch was OK, too, but better not go wild sanding. It was cheaper than sanded pine, so I thought it was a good deal.

I don't think most of the veneers are that thick.
I have some very old ply from some old furniture 40s - 50s. The veneer is about 1/8 "... I am so amazed how far we have fallen.
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

Short of a X-ray or cutting a piece of plywood apart, is there any way to know what you're getting inside? The exteriors have grades, so why not the interior? (It's probably a piece of information that is removed long before it gets to the store's distributors, if it even exists.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 27 Feb 2014 00:30:15 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

don't know if you'll be able to hear a void on middle layers, though.
"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote

wallet ready to be emptied.
--
Jim in NC

On 2/26/2014 8:25 PM, Morgans wrote:

Seen those two grades referring to woods and veneers, and in a foreign context, but never to plywood in North America?
I use a couple of real plywood suppliers on a regular basis and none sell anything using that grading system.
Maybe I'm missing something. Got a supplier for "AA" and "AAA" _grade_ plywood, not just the veneer, in this country?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I stand corrected. Been a while since I had need of anything better than standard plywoods.
Of course, if you really have need for ply with minimal voids, there are marine grade hardwood veneer plywoods available. No voids larger than 1/8", inner layers knots allowed, no voids. Pricey.
Then there are birch and mahogany aircraft mil spec grade plys, no voids. Can you say expensive? Really expensive? Around $400 for 1/2"
On 2/26/2014 6:25 PM, Morgans wrote:

Current plywood grading:
http://www.plumcreek.com/Portals/0/downloads/productInfo/J20.pdf
On 2/27/2014 1:57 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

and Hardwood plywood which is what I thought I posted earlier:
http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/library/reference-guides/grading-guide/

Gotta love modern sheet goods, right? That variation is one - main - reason I avoid full width dadoes. Instead, I use a narrower one and cut a tongue on the ply leaving - usually - 1/8" shoulders. That gets me a tongue closer to the the right width throughout; if a variation remains, the shoulders hide any boo-boos.
--

dadiOH
On 2/19/2014 6:59 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Consumer product quality has taken a nosedive whether the product was made in North America or anywhere else in the world. The Wallmart mentality of accepting lower quality for a lower price has come full circle.
Why should a manufacturer waste money on quality. The consumers only want a bargain.
Look on the bright side. If we learn how to produce absolute junk maybe the jobs will come back.
LdB

http://health.heraldtribune.com/2012/12/04/that-bothersome-high-pitched- whine-in-the-ear/