Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Page 7 of 7
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:41:07 -0400, "Jim Helfer"
From the Fifth Century B.C.E. we have the warnings of the Greek's about Hubris which became codified by Pope Gregory in the Fifth Century C.E. as Pride and so on to Shakespeare's warnings in the tragedies a thousand years later, so on to Raskolnikov and Dostoevsky's portrait of the self absorbtion that must become madness.
The common thread is that Pride is the progenitor of the notion that the other is as nothing in comparison to the self and that it can be objectified to the point where there is no obligation to acknowledge the other as part of the same world that the self inhabits.
This thinking allows the Hubrist to violate the commonly held beliefs of the society that he dwells in, at his whim, when it is these commonly held beliefs which describe society, and their violation is the basis of Sociopathy.
The primacy of Pride in the order of the Deadly Sins is not a mere description of its position in a numerical order but is rather a call to recognize it as the basis for all of the other sins.
It is then Pride which allows someone to claim as his own that which does not belong to him, in violation of any concept of morality that has been expressed in Western Culture for at least twenty five hundred years.
Seen in this way, this taking is not a small act. Although the sum may be small, the implications are vast.
Should we teach our children that stealing a small sum is of small consequence or should we teach them that stealing is wrong?
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:28:06 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:
[snip]

Apparently, the lessons of the late '90's concerning moral relativism in pervarication have spilled over to ownership :-(
-Doug

Hi Tom,
Well, to paraphrase a recent President, it depends on whet your definition of "stealing" is. :-)
Is it stealing to take something that doesn't belong to you? Yes.
Is it stealing to find something that has been lost and keep it for yourself when there is no way to determine who the true owner is? Moral dilemma time for some; a black and white issue for the rest with most probably coming down on the side of "keep it". Most states have laws regarding lost items and in many places, you turn the item over to the police and after so many days, if no one has claimed it, it belongs to the finder.

which
that
hundred
Unfortunately, many moral concepts have been little more than concepts in Western Culture. For example, museums throughout Europe and America (the British Museum, most notably) are filled with artifacts taken from around the world without regard to legal ownership. There is a debate over whether the archeologists who collected these artifacts were plunderers or preservers. See: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3190360.stm
Is it any wonder that this debate is going on over a few dollars?
Weldon
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:41:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@removethispartpobox.com (LRod) pixelated:

Worse than that: Heaven, where you won't know a SOUL!
Which reminds me. There are only two things to worry about...
------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! ------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Nice Tom, Real Nice, However Its unfortunate that so many still will not get it.