Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Page 5 of 7

It's not the same as stealing. Geez, it's a couple bucks that someone forgot about. How much time of his and the store manager's should be wasted on the impossible task of locating someone who paid in cash? Give me a break.
Frank

A truly honest person would turn the cash in to the service desk, in case the person who left it returns. A time stamped sales slip with the exact amount of the change would be pretty convincing evidence of ownership ... but maybe some of us are just too honest.
I disagree. They will just pocket the cash as well. If they are too cheap to hire people to run cash registers, they deserve what they get.

I guess we were bought up differently, Frank. My folks taught me that if it is _not_ mine, I should _not_ take it. It _does_ belong to someone else. Therefore, to take it _IS_ stealing. In my book, hbakker should have given the cash to the attendant of the automated lanes and let HD deal with it.
I was also taught to trust someone until that person proves he can not be trusted. $7.00 and a blabbermouth has shown me and the rest of the group that hbakker can not be trusted.
Like George K., at least I can sleep well at night knowing I did the right thing. The trouble is, hbakker & Frank probably have no trouble sleeping either.
DexAZ

On 16 Oct 2003, DexAZ spake unto rec.woodworking:

    How? Put the cash in the lost and found box? Get real. It would have ended up back in the till, at best. More likely, in the HD attendant's pocket.

    Me too - and without being a sanctimonious prat. How the hell could anybody track down the bozo who left the small change behind? You make it sound like he stole somebody's credit card.
Not to argue the point, but just a few of my tuppence's:
Not a damn thing sanctimonious about refusing to take something that doesn't belong to you ... making a public noise about it, perhaps.
$2 to $5 is NOT small change to me, and I am far from being poor.
And how do you know the guy who forgot the change is a "Bozo"?
Seems reasonable to conclude that convincing yourself of that is the first step in rationalizing the act. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

it, someone else will?
On 16 Oct 2003, Doug Miller spake unto rec.woodworking:

    In this particular circumstance, when there is no way to know who the rightful owner is, and the alternative is to let it be assimilated by the borg? Yes.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:01:34 GMT, Scott Cramer

Assimilated? Its the Borg's MONEY! Its not laying on the floor. Its in a cash register...actually, the cash dispenser from a sales transaction. It belongs to HD.
It may actually be a bad/extra feed from the mechanical part of the dispenser. Its doesn't necessarily hafta be a customer's money left in the chute.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Yes, definately

splinter... beam...
DexAZ wrote:

Woodworking guys. The name of the group is rec.woodworking.
Geesh. I agree with you, but take it somewhere else.
Anyone want to lay odds on whether Godwin's Law comes into play in this thread?
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
You don't have to trust him. Why should anyone worry about being trusted here anyway? I didn't know this was a forum for buying and selling. I could care less if we were all thieves.

My comment was meant in reply to the suggestion that someone should be "tracked" down over $2. I'm not suggesting that it's every man for himself. It's not worth getting into a self righteous knot over. I'm an honest person myself who does not steal anything, but in my experience, people so quick to jump on their puplic soap boxes are usually the biggest hypocrytes around.
Frank
I would sleep better knowing that I came out a little ahead for a change.

So -you're- the asshole that took my change. I came back 10 minutes later when I remembered it, and it was gone.
Theiving bastard even thinks it funny so he posts his theft so the world can see.
Mike Patterson wrote:

finders...keepers...loosers...well, you know ;)
--
Chris Merrill