Extra cash at HD automated checkup

If yer gonna stand there anyway and pump the gas, why would you want to jam the handle with a gas cap?
Now...more than likely, this thread will go on to talk about jam...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
    Greetings and Salutations...     In the spirit of contributing to "topic rot"...
wrote:     *snip*

    Hear! Hear! One of my FAVORITE things while growing up was a thick slice of homemade bread, still warm from the oven, slathered with a little butter and a LOT of Quince Jam. Talk about one of the few bright spots!     Regards     Dave Mundt
snipped-for-privacy@esper.com (Dave Mundt) wrote:

Boy, this is going downhill fast! Anybody tried any of that Kentucky Jelly? <g>
--
Alex
alexy wrote:

Yes.
Silvan wrote in rec.woodworking

Can't go wrong with some jalapeno jelly.
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

BigDog wrote:

That would be invigorating 8-O
Trent wrote:

We finally got a Krispy Kreme store.
Krispy Kreme raspberry filled.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Why do I fear that the two inches I've shed in my waist are about to come back?
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:54:07 GMT, "Michael Daly"

What city and state did this happen in, Mike. I'd like to look it up.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

with
I saw this on our news in CT. It did not happen here but they made a big deal about getting back into the car and getting out to take the filler out. Women are more prone to do static because of the stocking they wear. They also got into filling gas cans in the back of a pickup as fumes can collect there, just like when you fuel a boat.
I once picked up a nozzle from the pump, hit the start button and had gas spew out as the previous user jammed the handle in the "on" position. No damage, but it did stink from the spill.
As for the latch device, I know some states do not permit them, but a station in my town just got all new hoses and nozzles and they all have the latch. That is one reason I like that station. There pumps also have a higher capacity than many of the newer self serve models.
Keeping this on topic, I filled the tank so I could drive to the lumber yard to buy some wood. Ed

You saw the video of the woman burning, Ed?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
In article <3uLjb.357433$Lnr1.267559
says...

Self serve dispensers here in AZ are allowed to have locking nozzles. However, the nozzles must be self-shutoff when they sense back pressure (seems a more elegant solution than making folks -- especially older folks who may have arthritis or other ailments) have to hold a nozzle on while the car fills.
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:03:23 GMT, Mark & Juanita

The automatic shutoffs often do not work. I've personally gotten a gasoline bath at least a half dozen times...while holding the handle down.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Then you must pump gas from some pretty poorly maintained places. In the past 25 years since self-serve became the vogue, I can remember only one time when the cutoff didn't work, and that was only after it had activated once and I was trying to get the numbers to come out to a currency round number.
I suspect that the local fire marshal would shut down a place rather quickly were it found that its automated cutoffs were inoperative; that's a hazard whether you are forcing people to get cramps in their hands in the freezing cold while being forced to act like metal stops or whether you have metal stops holding the nozzle open.
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:34:04 GMT, Mark & Juanita

These were in 6 different locations...over a period of at least 20+ years. And the stations were modern and clean. I have no idea if they were poorly maintained...but it certainly didn't look like they were.

So then, I guess I fail to see your point. You are just one person...and I am just one person. Yet you and I have BOTH seen the auto shutoffs fail. Now...multiply that by hundreds of thousands of pumps...and millions of people using the pumps each day.

The newer pumps won't let you do that. After the auto shutoff kicks in, you can't pull the handle again. You must restart the pump as a new customer. This has proven to be a big time saver...and moves the other cars along much more quickly.
Its always aggravating when a guy wants to get another 22 into his tank...at stop-and-go and slow speed.
BTW...was that stationed poorly maintained?

I'm sure they would. But that can't happen, of course, until the FIRST one doesn't work. So...how many FIRST ones do you think there are in this country each day?
In reality, fire marshall's are rarely called out for this kind of problem. In most cases, the pump operator/customer will report it to the inside office...and they have their maintenance folks fix the problem. Many stations...but not all, I'm sure...will even cover that nozzle and mark it out of service until the problem is fixed.

In my area, you see fewer and fewer hold-open nozzles. I have no doubt that they'll be outlawed in the near future...which they should be, of course.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Trent wrote:

This is something else I don't get. I've *never* waited in line for gas. On a rare day when every pump is in use, there's no one at the place up the street that's one cent more expensive.
I've rarely waited in line for diesel for that matter. I try to plan my fuel stops so that I have the option to bail and get fuel later if there's a wait. I hate waiting.
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

I'm not sure what world the copylefted Trent lives in. In my world, I have yet to see an automatic cutoff not work on initial fill (only time I've seen it happen was when continuing to fill after the pump cutoff), nor have I encountered any gas pumps anywhere that don't allow one to continue filling after the initial cutoff -- there are times when this is not just to round out the sale but because the cutoff works prematurely and there are many more gallons before the tank is actually full. Also, I've never seen anyone take that much time pumping a few cents extra to round out the sale -- I see much more time with fumbling with credit cards, adjusting the hair before moving the car, etc.

Me too. However, in my area (Tucson) the difference is on the order of a dime, except at Arco that doesn't take credit cards, thus one either has to mess with their cash eater or have to pre-pay to pump. Only thing I hate worse than waiting is having to pre-pay to pump gas.
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:46:04 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Just to make you feel better...
There's a lot of things in life *I* haven't seen yet either. lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Interspersed...
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:46:04 GMT, Mark & Juanita

Just the other day I had the cutoff initiate immediately; seems I have to back the nozzle out just a bit or the backflow initiates the cutoff. Not very practical to have the pump shut down immediately upon cutoff.
Not to mention, situating the kids back in their car seats - why do they need to get out while you take five minutes to fill up the tank.

Lines are a hassle I put up with when the price is 20 less a gallon - that's the difference around here between BJ's (or its ilk) gas and the regular stations. Up in PA, the difference isn't so staggering (~5), but the lines are shorter so it balances out.

I avoid prepay like the plague. You gotta run in and give the cashier some money, run out fill the tank, run in and get change - and have to wait in line each time. The credit card (debit, etc.) at the tank are great.
Renata smart, not dumb for email
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:30:02 -0400, Silvan

Hell, when I was much younger, I used to have them run out of gas right in the station...just before I started filling! lol
And, in case anybody doesn't know...
That weaving back and forth trick...to get a few extra blocks when yer runnin' out of gas...DOESN'T WORK!!! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

I've never had this happen. I've been using self-serve in Calif since they became popular, however long that's been. I started driving in 1970, got my first car in 1972.
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926