Extra cash at HD automated checkup

Page 1 of 7
Check your cash back when using the HD automated check-out facility and paying the bill with hard cash!
So far I have "collected" $5 and $2 at two different HD stores in FL where previous customers would have been confused or overwhelmed by the "talking computer" and "put items on the scale" and "take your items" etc!
I'm not "fingering" return slots at public telephones but I may get that habit while doing my (weekly) shopping run at a HD.....could pay for the gas...!!
Add pictures here
βœ–

I despise the idea of a self checkout. I refuse to use them in any store. Like self serve gas, you don't save any money, but the seller reaps higher profits.
To clarify, full service gas is priced as much as 25’ a gallon higher than self serve, but that is an artificial price. In MA, each town decides if self serve is allowed. Gas stations across the street from each other on the town line both sell at the same price but one if full service. When I can get a 5% discount for doing it myself, I'll start to use them. Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I don't care for the self serve checkout at the Borg, but difinitely prefer self serve gas stations. At a self serve gas station the service is faster, better and more honest.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Umm..aren't you doing the checking out at the Borg? I guess its ok.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I think the point, and the reason I use them frequently, is speed of checkout and convienience. I've been using the one at my local grocery store for 3 years now, and was overjoyed to see them pop up at my local BORG.
I'm tired of waiting in line for 45 minutes for things beyond my control. My TIME is too valuable, probably worth more than the 5% discount. You wait in line, I'll make sawdust faster.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Agreed.....this is particularly true if you only have a few items. Getting stuck behind someone's entire weekend project can be frustrating. Also, the self-checkout machines don't tend to get caught up in casual conversations while a half dozen people wait in line ;)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hmmm, I don't like self-checkouts either and won't use them at HD, but I disagree with you about self-serve gasoline. Even if it is the same price, I prefer it because I don't have someone who doesn't give a damn scratching the finish on the car. Since I am in the rust-belt, that saves me some money on a car rusting prematurely.

where
"talking
Add pictures here
βœ–

and
store.
higher
than
if
on
βœ–

Then get a AAA Platinum Plus Visa. You get 5% of each pay at the pump gas transaction rebated to the account with 48 hours. It only works for pay at the pump transactions, but it works at all brands. :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
So you say it works with any brand fuel as long as it is pay at the pump?? Cool..

βœ–
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Must be a Yankee thing. I haven't seen a full-service gas station in years. I didn't know they still existed.
βœ–

years.
By full service, I mean they pump it for you. Few if any, will check the oil and wash the windshield like the Texaco Stars did years ago. Massachusetts allows the fire marshal of each town decide if its citizens are competent enough to pump gas safely. The entire state of New Jersey is full serve.
If I was truly saving money, I'd say OK, but I see proof that gas can be sold with an attendant for the same price as me freezing my (insert favorite body part here) off in the winter. Ed
Add pictures here
βœ–
Silvan wrote:

Some states have determined that their residents aren't competent enough to pump their own gasoline.
Oregon New Jersey Parts of Mass.
Any arguments with their logic?
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@tree.oak says...

How about the fact that self-serve gas stations in the other 47 states aren't going up in impressive balls of flame with any regularity?

Add pictures here
βœ–

That obviously confirms how bright those of us living outside of those states are.
--
Alex
βœ–

I've always wondered what they did with 'Old Jersey'.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Trent© wrote:

It's still there
http://hiwaay.net/~hfears/misc/old_maps.htm
http://www.jersey.com/journey/seewhere.htm
However it is further from old York than New Jersey is from New York
Dick
Add pictures here
βœ–

I was consulting for an oil company earlier this year and got to watch a video from a service station taken the day before. Self serve dispensers are not allowed to have locking (i.e always on) nozzles. A woman in a van managed to jam one open and got back into her vehicle to wait. It overflowed and when she got out and touched the nozzle, the whole thing went up. I joked (not appreciated by the boss) that she must have jammed it open with a cigarette lighter. Actually, it was probably static. It does happen. And some folks are stupid enough to override the safety features.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–

Maybe where you live... and apparently you don't travel much. I live in Indiana, and travel frequently to Michigan, and occasionally to Illinois, Ohio, Alabama, Florida, and Ontario Canada. I can't remember the last time I used a self-serve pump that did *not* have a locking nozzle. And no, I'm not getting old enough that my memory is failing. :-)
βœ–

Maybe in some jurisdictions, but some of us live in areas where people are even bright enough to be able to handle the locking nozzles.

When I find an occasional station without the locking nozzle, I jam it open with the gas cap. About the right size, and makes sure I don't forget to put the gas cap back on. I've had one overflow in all these years. Good reminder about static, though.

If you are calling a disabled pump (i.e., defeated locking nozzle) a safety feature, then you must be calling all gas station attendants who use locking nozzles stupid? Even more reason to pump your own.
--
Alex
βœ–