External door plans?

The door to my woodworking shop (shed) has essentially disintegrated. I've priced a couple of basic external doors at Home Depot and Lowes, but thought it would be more fun to build one myself. Does anyone have plans for a basic external door they could point me too? I'm going the google route as well, but thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson

Reply to
Andrew Robinson

You might want to try "Make Your Own Handcrafted Doors and Windows" by John Birchard.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've built a bunch of them, but never from plans. I'd be glad to help however I can. Bridger

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
nospambob

You didn't mention what size door opening you have. I've built a couple of doors for the two sheds I have. Both sheds have door openings of 8' wide and 7' high. I used 3/4" exterior plywood for the base door material and then used 1" x 4" pine to frame the door and make a cross buck on the bottom just for aesthetics.

Sorry, I had no plans. Built them on-the-fly from measurements taken from my door openings.

Here are some pics.

Bill Schnakenberg

Nice pics! I've made doors for my 2 sheds but used 1/2 inch and they bow/warp like heck. Tried to save a buck and the advice of a friend who I think arrived in a puff of smoke.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The 3/4" plywood doors on that second shed are warped a little because I never painted the backs of the doors for about a year after I painted the fronts. Since the doors were recessed, I used the regular butt hinges on them, but found that the supplied screws were not strong enough to overcome the weight of the 3/4" plywood doors plus trim, so I wound up using screw bolts and nuts. I have to get around to putting a ridge vent on that shed too, since there are no gable vents. The original shed had that home made cupola as a vent when the rafters were exposed. Once we (she) converted it to a pool house, and I insulated and put the wainscotting on the rafters, I had to install ridge venting on both sides of the cupola.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg