Exterior entry door material ????????????????

Hi, Saw an article in "Fine Woodworking" the other month on making an entry door using a "sandwich method" The author used PT pine but I would like to use a wood I can stain or leave natural. What would be a good species to use, with the sandwich method? tia, Mike

Reply to
miey

Put a veneer of whatever you want onto the face of it.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

I'd buy a door & laminate it, like Tom said. There's nothing I find more irratating than a warped or poor fitting door & a good one is difficult to make. Actually, I'd probably buy a door with a fake woodgrain that isn't made out of wood at all & stain that - they used to make them. I guess they still do.

Reply to
Jim

I've rebuilt a couple exterior doors that were rotted. It is common for commercially built doors to be made with the stiles and rails individually being glued up and a nice 1/8" thick veneer applied. You cannot tell they are not solid wood by appearance. By gluing up a core from smaller wood blocks, you can minimize bow and warp.

Solid wood 2x6 wood that is 84" long without warp or bow in it is difficult to find. One thing for sure, be prepared to plane out the bow and warp before making the door and then pray it stays. Wood that is over-sized in thickness will be necessary for this approach.

Straight grain fir is a good door material. I've thought about making a door out of clear cypress, but I'm not sure it would be a good material selection.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Snip

Agreed, fir is a common door material as is different verities of oaks. I do like cypress and plan on using it for the next door I build. Hint. Have a large flat table for clamping and assembly. I used polyurethane glue, the longer open time made a big difference.

Dave

Teamcasa