Exterior doors

Hi,

I'd like to build an exterior door for my house. The door is going to experience pretty extensive sun. What wood is best for that purpose?

Can anyone send me a sketch of an ordinary exterior door? How to configure the door so that the deformations due to weather variations would not affect the operability of the door?

Thanks

Reply to
hanch

Ramsey

FWIW, a door that will receive extensive sun exposure will require a lot of maintenance to maintain any kind of decent appearance. Paint will hold up the best and if you are going to paint it, you might as well buy a steel door and save money and time.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed. And the security against break-ins is OUTSTANDING!!!

Reply to
Ramsey

Brings up a point. I see people with super secure front doors yet they have glass french doors in the back. What the heck is the point. If I was a robber I'd be breaking in in the back, not the front.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Hopkins

I have a painted steel door. After a few years, the color faded and the finish became chauky. I used a fine-grade auto rubbing compound and a random orbit auto buffer which brought back the color and luster. That was much easier than refinishing the door. Use a light color to help reflect the heat.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Ramsey

When I bought my house, they asked if I had deadbolts. I said no. They asked if I planned to install deadbolts. I asked why. They said if I had deadbolts, I would get a cut on my homeowner's insurance. I pointed out that I have sliding glass doors, and they said it didn't matter. So I told them I would install deadbolts, and I did.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Reply to
Ramsey

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:12:57 -0400, "Sam Hopkins" pixelated:

After seeing how the new vinyl-framed windows lock, what self-respecting criminal (Izzat an oxymoron?) would try to break in through a -door-? A putty knife or screwdriver would probably do the job without any dangerous (and loud) glass breakage.

P.S: Who would buy French doors if they knew what a bear it was to wash all those little panes each time?

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just finished an 80" wide entryway that includes a 36" door + sidelights. I used Red Oak, and finished with Helmsman Spar Varnish (3 coats). The door is on the Southern face of my house, but doesn't get direct sun, thanks to a 7 foot porch roof. The book "Doormaking - A do it yourself guide" by John Birchard gives a pretty good over-view of construction and installation techniques and "gotcha's". All in all I'm happy with the outcome, and saved more than enough to justify the new Milwuakee 3 1/2 hp router in my table. The old PC 690 just wasn't up to cope and stick bits for 1 3/4" oak!.

Reply to
Rkola