Exterior Door For Pets

Looking to replace an exterior residence door with a door that would be both well insulated and constructed as well as one that would allow the installation of an 18 in x 24 in frame for a "pet door" within the bottom half of the door. This (I believe) rules out wood framed/steel faced doors. The door would be exposed directly to the elements i.e. no exterior storm door. Any ideas? I've heard of solid wood engineered doors, but no knowledge of them locally from any of the few suppliers in the area. Anyone have this same requirement and solved it? thanks
--
Monroe

This (I believe) rules out wood framed/steel

Why?

I have a dog door installed on our steel faced exterior door with no problems. It is even the faux six panel type. Once the door was installed (dog door) I ran a bead of silicone around it and was just a little more generous where the frame did not mate up over the panel indentation.
Cheers,
Paul
Monroe wrote:

You can install a doggy door in a steel clad exterior door, it just takes a bit of thought in how to cut the steel cladding.
I did one with a sawz-all with metal cutting blade.
An 18 x 24 pet door is pretty big and may cause you problems with heat loss in the winter unless it opens onto a porch or entry room.

Just be warned that if you have cats, you will wake up to dead bodies laying around the house. I knew someone who had four cats. And woke up to SEVEN corpses of various animals one morning. Her cats had a good night.
The pet door were boarded up that day.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:44:40 -0400, "Lee Michaels"

It's even better when they hide the bodies behind furniture. You always notice the smell when guests sit down for coffee. <G>
I found a place on the net to install a "tunnel" type door for my bulldog in Louisville. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it was worth the price. The sales guy even gave me a 50$ credit on my credit card a month later for sending him pictures of the project along with a monologue. Apparrently, they didn't know how to put one in a brick wall. I didn't either, but I figured it out. Not exactly rocket surgery.
Here's my one moment of celebrity, or rather my dog's:
http://www.moorepet.com/moorepet/index.cfm?fuseaction=customer.hspdbrickwallinst
They have dual flap doors that seal and insulate well. Now that I'm back in the Chicago area and about to buy yet another doggy-door-less house, I'm going back to them. This will be for a metal faux-six-panel door. They have all kinds. I think the trick is the dual flap thing.
--Hedley --Binge in Moderation

Sorry. The boss told me to check PetSmart and I found a double flap doggy-door that might fit the dog for only about 90$. Beats the hell out of 300$.
I knew I kept her around for something bedsides making me miserable.

Jeepers, around here, I'm sure the raccoons would LOVE that! Mind you, I suppose one could put a lock with a code, and just make sure the dog doesn't blab.
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:54:10 -0400, "Buck Frobisher"

reader above the door. Chip your critters and only unlock the door when the right ids come near it.     Regards     Dave Mundt

But will it stop a cat bringing home their kill?
There are lots of stories of people who put in pet doors for cat and wake up with dead bodieslaying around the house. I am no expert on cat psychology but one prominent theory is that they do this because they love us and are hunting food to give to their extended family.
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:48:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Lee

In fact, some do! Et voil: http://www.quantumpicture.com/Flo_Control/flo_control.htm

Ain't that sweeeeet?
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development