Extended length drill bits

Suggest square stock, split length-wise then routing each piece with a "half round (cove?) bit, then glue up the two pieces (using a waxed

1/2" O.D. dowel or aluminum rod/tube to align, perhaps), chuck in the lathe and round to desired O.D.

After the glue up, you might be able to run a 1/2" bit down the center (without "blowing out the sides") to clean up the hole.

Caveat - I have never tried anything close!

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

has just what he needs, except in 3/8 and

5/16" bits.

When I used to build lamps, I would split the blank in half, run a dado down the middle for the wire, and just drill the end to the right size for the threaded pipe nipples...

Reply to
Jack Stein