Extend a door

The (Sears) house I am moving into has a 32" entrance door. I would like to increase this to 36" I don't want to just tear out the present door and frame because I like the look of the wood door with beveled glass panels. I could use some advise on this. The door appears to be made up of wood section held together with mortise and tenon joints. Most of the door is made up of glass panels held in place in a standard method with glazing and wood strips. Will this work? My idea was to remove the board that makes up the outer edge of the door where the latch is. This part of the door is made up of a 2x 4 piece of lumber. Replace this with a piece 2 x 8 piece of lumber. I would need to cut the mortise joints and frame area for the glass. This would make the door off center, but that is ok with me. Then there is the frame to deal with. I was hoping to remove one side of the jamb, adjust the wall studs and header, then make a new door jamb. I have not done much door work in the past. Is this a crazy idea? Is there another way to accomplish this?
John Jacob (1919 Sears house)
On 06 Nov 2003, John Jacob spake unto rec.woodworking:

    You will likely find that disassembling the existing door will be a challenge. The M&Ts are likely to be pinned and glued, so getting one or both stiles off without turning the tenons on the rails into splinters is your first problem.
    I would suggest that you true up both sides of the door, and make a full length dado, about 1/3 the width of the edge and at least 1/2" deep, down each edge. Make corresponding new pieces, with matching full length tenons, to make up the added width. Some long screws through the new pieces, in addition to a solid glue-up, should be give plenty of strength. You could do this just on the hinge side, but I'm a guy who likes symmetry.
    The casing is another story. The top jamb is mortised into the two sides, and though you could conceivably remove one side, make a wider top jamb, and then put it all back together with the original side jamb, getting it apart cleanly without removing it in its entirety first is not a job for the faint of heart.
    Good luck - you're in for a challenge!
Scott
j.jacob wrote:>Then there is the frame to deal with. I was hoping to remove one side of

Ay-yi-yi. The header kinda helps hold up that which is above the door. so scabbing onto it (which I assume you meant by "adjust") is not recommended. Not sure about the way Sears kitted the house, I'd wanna be sure that the header is every bit of what it should be. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....