Experiences building with bamboo plywood ?

Has anyone built a cabinet or table with bamboo plywood ?
See http://www.plyboo.com/ for one manufacturer.
I'm wondering what glue and finishes it will take.
Any chance someone knows of a distriubtor in the Boston, MA area ?
Thanks, rob baynes
We have built several pieces with bamboo ply. It loves to crack. Lacquer was the finish we used most. It is great looking stuff but we hade some redoes with the cracks. max

Was the cracking caused by flexing? drying? or some other mysterious force?
Also, what does it cost, how well does it machine, and is it hard on blades and bits?
brian
I just found this, which answers some of those questions. I still can't find a suplier who will give me any prices.
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/Public/NaturalFlooring/BambooProducts/Plywood/index.cfm
Duh, that site sells bamboo plywood too.
Holy cow! check out the prices: http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/includes/showObject.cfm?independentPage=showInContext&objectID 2&objectType=Product&defaultLocation=SiteModel_public,132,/dbc/methods/Product/display/productDisplay_basic_related_m1.cfm
Bamboo Plywood: Carbonized Horizontal 4' x 8' x 3/4"      Price: $278.25 a sheet!
Now I know why nobody carries or uses it.
Man, you'd think it was a fraction of that. maybe it's because we can't grow it here. or maybe it takes a lot more processing to get it to be shaped like that. Oh well. I was hoping for a sheet stock as good as ply, but cheaper.
brian
I think its all manufactured in China at this point. The shipping costs must account for the price.

That wouldn't be the major factor. Shipping flat stock like that is very efficient (in terms of cubes (physical volume)). Solid surface sheets from China, 30" x 144" @ 160 pounds each cost under CAN$ 40.00 per sheet in lots of 10 skids with 8 sheets each. $ approx $3000 for 2400 square feet to Vancouver. That stuff is non-standard and is charged extra. Plywood would be cheaper than that.... but, even at the same rates, it would only account for $ 1.25 per square ft ie a 32 sq-ft sheet of 3/4" plywood wouldn't be more than $ 40 in freight. My very generous guestimate would be more like US 20.00 per sheet to Long beach CA.
$ 55.00 buys a 25 sq-ft sheet of Baltic Birch......that's with the wood included! ( That would be $ 70 USD for a 4x8 if it came that way..allll the way from Russia!)
Somebody is working the exotic angle.
Russian Birch in San Francisco is around $22 for a 5x5 1/2 inch. Is that $55 for you? max

3/4"- 5'x5' retail yup. I know that's not a good price. $ 22.00 for 1/2" illustrates that there's gouging going on somewhere with the bamboo.

[snip]>
Is there a business opportunity here? I'm growing two clumps of Giant Timber Bamboo and some Buddha Belly, as well as other types. The clumps double in size every year once they're started. Here in Central Florida there's still plenty of suitable land to start a Bamboo grove of viable size. My estimate is that it would take about 3 years to have enough bamboo to begin a commercial activity, and should be self-sustaining after that.
Any ideas? (Don't use my e-mail address -- it's not active --)
Regards --
Bamboo varieties do grow here in US. Some are cold hardy to -20 deg F. Some varieties grow to 70 feet in height and substantial girth, others are more like the poles we normally think of. DAGS and you will be amazed at the different types (at least I was).
Ken

That's a non-starter for anything I'd be interested in...i.e. countertop substrate... my goodness.
I believe I posted this elsewhere but direct from Plyboo, last I checked, it was $170 a sheet. I also saw that my local suppliers had it for $190.