Experience with bifold pocket doors?

I'm just about ready to buy a 46" LCD TV and want to put it in an existing entertainment cabinet. I was considering putting in bifold pocket doors. I have experience with pocket doors but not bifold type. The area to be covered would be 48" wide by 31" high. Cabinet depth is 21".

I've also had trouble finding bifold pocket door hardware online. I can find mention of it, but not images of the actual hardware. For those having some experience with this, is it as simple as getting suitable pocket door hardware and just adding piano hinge to the center doors to make it bifold? Or is there something else I should be considering?

Of course I know that I need to take in account the additional thickness of panel doors for the side inset spaces and the extra weight of the two additional doors on the hinges. Is there anything else to consider?

Thanks.

Reply to
Upscale

First let me say that I've used the pocket hardware for a pair of single doors but never a bi-folding situation.

I guess your wanting the doors to fold prior to sliding into the opening? If so, I think the piano hinge would work with standard hardware. The only thing I can think of (at the moment) is that if the folding pair are the same size the door toward the center would rest (when folded) over the euro style hinge. Depending on the hinge, this may not allow the doors to lay flat against each other.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an outside oak threshhold.

I am looking for a light or clear finish that will last, require minimum maintenance, and hold up well against outside weather.

You had to ask.

About 3-4 coats of epoxy followed by a couiple of coats of poly or varnish that contain UV inhibitors.

When the poly wears down, sand lightly and recoat to protect the epoxy.

Lew

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C819A8.91D143F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

----- Original Message ----- From:=20 blueman Newsgroups: = rec.woodworking Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 =

7:54=20 PM Subject: Recommended finishes = for=20 (outdoor) oak threshhold? Looking for recommendations for finishing and protecting an=20 outsideoak threshhold.I am looking for a light or clear = finish=20 that will last, requireminimum maintenance, and hold up well = against=20 outside weather. You had to ask.   About 3-4 coats of epoxy followed by a couiple = of coats=20 of poly or varnish that contain UV inhibitors.   When the poly wears
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I didn't think of that, but you're right it depends on the hinge. I could hollow out a little bit of the inside of the center door to accommodate a euro style hinge, at least a good part of it that rests over the 35mm cup. I'm more concerned with the strength of the pocket door hardware and how it functions with the addition of a second door.

Reply to
Upscale

Some of the pocket slides we've used came with that euro hinge that has that big funky looking arm that connects the hinge.

We've used some pretty big single doors with the pocket slides so I don't think weight would be a problem. Check the specs on the hardware. When the door is open, all of the slide hardware is on the outboard side of the open (hinged) door. Since the folded door is inside the hinged door I don't see any problem with the standard hardware working. Of course there's a lot of things I don't see sitting here at the keyboard....

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.