Experience with African Padauk

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:16:55 -0800, Carol Dufour wrote

I've made two tables using paduk, and second the comments about it being hard and splintery- hand chopping mortices was really no fun. It does, however, finish to a beautiful, lustrous sheen. Yellow glue has worked well for me (knock on wood)- it doesn't seem to be an oily wood.
Here's a link to the tech sheet:
http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/Chudnoff/African/htmlDocs_africa/pterocar psoy.html
As to it's dust: it tends to stain my hands, and I make a point of being extra conscientious about wearing my dust mask.

its and oily wood. a simple test is to use poly on it. it will take weeks to dry if it ever does. if it is not oily it is not the normal padouk most of us get.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

google is your friend. try http://groups.google.com