Expensive bench plane

I was at an estate auction this morning, where some woodworking tools were sold. Planes were going for $20 and less, a set of 6 rip/cross-cut saws for $45, etc.
Well, there was a larger plane, about the size of a Stanley 7 or 8, which sold for $190. I don't remember much about it, other than it wasn't a Stanley, and it had a mushroom shaped knob - that is, the knob widened to at least twice (3x?) the diameter of it base, and was flattened on top, rather than a spherical shape. It was not close to pristine condition.
Anyone know what it could have been?
Knob on the Veritas #6 is like that. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pG298&cat=1,41182 Low angle jack plane too: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pI708&cat=1,41182
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Those Veritas handplanes are new and spiffy designs.
One really useful site is authored and maintained by Patrick Leach, wRecker of great antiquity, and dealer in vintage iron.
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html
At that price, it's likely either something collectible, or at least thought to be.
Patriarch, a satisfied customer

Sounds like it might have been a Union. They made a line of metal planes in sizes 2 thru 7 which more or less tracked the Stanley line (I beleive they're generally a little larger). Dunno if they made a #8. The knob is noticably larger & flatter than a Stanley low knob, on my #6 it's almost as wide as the body of the plane.
As far as I know they're not especially collectable (altho you don't see many of them), so if it was a Union I have no idea why it went for $190.
John