Expanding a split entry / Need advice.

Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just to get more space but we REALLY need more space.
Here is what we have now;
http://www.halifaxhomes.net/pdf/split8.pdf
Here is what I am thinking. If you look at the above plan, one end of the house has an approximately 15' wide bay design. Could I not just add another 15' wide bay 2 story extension on the opposite side of the house ? It could be built to the same dimensions as the existing one. I would also lose the garage door and convert it to living space. I realize the front door will be offside but with the appropriate landscaping I think this might be do-able. I just don't want something that will be unsellable 10 years down the road though.
This expansion would give me about an additional 870 sq feet.
Any and all opinions appreciated !!
Sean
WhyMe wrote: > Has anybody ever seen a split entry that had been expanded in some way > and that it actually looked good ? I live in a fairly new split on a > beautiful country lot, 2+ acres and we really do not want to move just > to get more space but we REALLY need more space.
<snip>
Let's cut to the chase.
You need an architect.
Will do the job right which will protect your existing investment.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Oh yes, I agree but thats not what I asked.
WhyMe wrote:

Post this on alt.architecture

A house around the corner from me did a similar thing. They added to the left by making a new garage and room above it. The existing garage was made into living space. Looks OK, but look a bit out of character since thee are other houses near it that are of original design. This now looks huge by comparison.