Excitement in the shop,,,,sort'a

So I am in the middle of building 6 more boxes and getting ready to cut grooves for the tops and bottoms of the boxes. I had just mounted my dado set and switched out the SS brake for the dado set.
The blade spins freely, the saw boots and indicates no error, and all is good. Or so I thought. I neglected to increase the air gap between the blade and the brake. Apparently the gap can be too small. Anyway I attempted to turn on the saw and I hear a click, the blade does not move, and I see a small flash come from the brake. I tripped the brake.
Whew.... No harm to the Forrest dado set and my local Woodcraft was more than happy to sell me a new brake. I told them what was going on and they indicated to call SawStop and tell them the situation. They would probably send me a new brake and then I should return the one SS sends to me and get a refund.
I thought for a second and said naaaaa, you had the part I needed and you are here to run a business. You filled my need and I am not going to use you for my mistake.
Anyway a call to SawStop resulted them sending me a free replacement since I was a new user. Mind you that saw has paid for itself time and again, is 2.5 years old and I have probably switched brake cartridges 50~75 times. I simply asked them if I made a mistake by having an air gap that was too small and the reply was this will happen 99% of the time if the gap is not adequate. The sensors tell you if the gap is too great for the brake to function properly to prevent an accident.
Anyway, lesson learned and kudo's to SawStop for replacing consumables past their warranty and to Woodcraft for the generous offer to let me return the brake for a refund.
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:17:31 -0500, Leon wrote:

That's roughly twice a month, Leon! Something needs to change :-).
Not to mention going bankrupt from buying brake cartridges.
On 10/26/2015 6:05 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Ok, sorry, LOL There is a different cartridge for the 10" single blade than the one for the cartridge for the 8" dado blade. When switching between those blades the cartridge has to be swapped out too. For clarity I have only screwed up one time, today.
On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:12:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

You know, when I read your post I had the same thought Larry did... DAMN, Leon!
What in the world are you doing over there? I was thinking before SawStop it must have looked like a butcher shop inside the wood shop. Thanks for the clarification.
Robert

Yeah! Might have explained why SS is doing so remarkably well in sales. LOL
Oddly, when I was working with a lot of Ipe for Steve Knight it was look like a butcher shop. Ipe dust mixed with sweat equals blood red, and dry Ipe dust is light green. ;~)

What ever happened to Steve Knight? I have a couple of his planes, but I note that his website has disappeared.
On 10/27/2015 10:09 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

He started offering kit's instead of the whole plane IIRC and I don't think that went very far. I have not seen anything out of him in years.
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:12:02 -0500

ok this makes more sense i was confused as the others were
i guess this is the good kind of excitment i.e. not very exciting like a cup of coffee after 5 p.m.