Excitement in the shop!!!

As I was typing the last comments on my project glue up, I heard a crash in the shop.
I knew what happened but did not want to look.
The ton of clamps and cabinet weight got the best of one of my sawhorses.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20519288345/in/dateposted-public/
When the cabinet end of the work surface landed the 2, 2x4 beams broke in the same spot on each.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20331235088/in/dateposted-public/
Saw Horse "Quit"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/20493038666/in/dateposted-public/
I'll let it sit for another hour or so and remove the clamps. ;~)
I have had a lot more weight on these saw horse over the years but they have reached the limit to their usefulness.

It seems that saw horse die on their own anyway. With or without our help.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I'm glad he didn't have to shoot the saw horse...

That's what came to my mind "They shoot horses, don't they?". ...the world's *worst* movie, BTW.
On 8/12/2015 1:36 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

was probably carrying 50lbs. Not too long ago I had 12 sheets of 3/4" plywood on top of those two horses.
I just bought a couple of DeWalt replacements, their rating is 2500 per pair IIRC. Steel legs. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Adjustable-Metal-Legs-Sawhorse-DWST11031/203040645
Leon wrote:

Time for angle iron? :)
On 8/12/2015 1:39 PM, dadiOH wrote:

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 1:06:05 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

It wasn't a green saw horse. Time for a change in color.

Green angle iron!?
Sonny
On 8/12/2015 2:42 PM, Sonny wrote:

Well actually I strongly considered this until I remembered how much it cost. It has green and similar in price to the green you were referring to. I might have bit for $200, $400 no.
http://www.benchmarktable.com/

Hmm, when most people speak of a "ton of clamps" they don't mean it quite so literally.
Last time I glued up something with a mess of clamps like that, I did it on 4 or 5 2x4 sitting on the ground. Wasn't going to take any chances on gravity taking over.
John
On 8/12/2015 4:41 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I was probably many times near or over capacity. The new replacements are good for over a ton in pairs.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Adjustable-Metal-Legs-Sawhorse-DWST11031/203040645
On 8/12/2015 5:12 PM, Leon wrote:

Yikes! I have eight or ten of those same saw horses. I've used them for everything but, I guess fortunately, have been phasing out their use.

Makes sense. Looks like they broke where they're notched.

years so I guessed I've been warned.

bending.

Yes

It's a shame, they showed no signs of being over loaded, as it turns out they were rated for 1,000 lbs. in pairs. At least the new DeWalts that I bought have steel legs and 2.5 times more capacity.
On 8/13/15 8:19 AM, Leon wrote:

Fricken oak rust!
--

-MIKE-

I use mine mostly for finishing, anymore, so they might last a little while longer.