eWoodShop - Office File Cabinets & Computer pullout tray

For a client:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShop4017Cabinetry?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_-7tzKtNDffw
(although the cabinet holding the computer is vented, the client decided against a door (wisely, IMO).
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Very nice. Did you do the bookshelves and upper cabinets as well?
Or just built to match them?
On 8/27/2013 8:20 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Lord no ... that is extremely badly made, built-in cabinetry.
And that is the reason I went to the trouble of putting the 8 file drawers in shop built cases, _within_ the bottom built-in "cabinets".
I did not think the cabinet infrastructure that you can't see will last long enough, or even take the load of 8 file drawers full of files.
What your see is typical of the stupid/greedy/give-a-shit builder, and unskilled, unsupervised, illegal immigrant labor consumers must put up with when they buy a home these days. Particular house was built about seven years ago, recently resold for circa $1.1 million, and the cabinetry throughout is basically nothing but TOTAL shit.
They are only meant to look good, not work, or stay together for any length of time.
Pardon the rant ... just tired of having to work around this crap, and being outbid by cut rate shitheads who simply don't give a shit.
Sad ... but what you get in this mollycoddling, progressive, poorly educated, entitlement culture of ours, where looks trump soundness, and stupid is epidemic.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
In this life, we tend to get what we pay for. The sad thing is that too many people equate pleasing to the eye with quality and are incapable of looking past the cosmetics to judge the craftsmanship. Finish: Maloof?
Larry
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:01:19 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

On 8/27/2013 10:59 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

For 1.1 million, I personally would expect a damned sight more, myself.

Stain with a tinted Lacquer top coat to please the client's taste.I
I don't color anything, it is well beyond my job description. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/27/2013 9:01 AM, Swingman wrote:

I know you were not tickled with having to make great work "fit in' with shoddy workmanship. And don't take this as any thing but a complement, it all looks like it was always there. Great job!
Was it the customers decision to have the file cabinet doors swing together in the center rather than the all swing right or left depending on the side of the desk that are on? Seems a bit counter productive to have to ride the chair to the middle of the cabinet and or get up and walk over to the middle of the file cabinet. The fix would be easy should he find that function/ease of use is more important than how it looks.
On 8/27/2013 11:48 AM, Leon wrote:

He was given the option ... his wish is my command.
And I was damned glad, because I would had to have broken out the pocket hole jig to get two of those out of square, toe nailed in, smaller at the top, move around with your hand, stiles secure enough to hold two farking doors.
BTW, Happy Birthday, youngster!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/27/2013 12:34 PM, Swingman wrote:

Well you probably told me that the doors were already there. All the more reason to leave things alone. ;~)
And thanks on the BD thang!
On 8/27/2013 7:45 AM, Swingman wrote:

Karl, that's nice. Who's design? Your's or the clients? A little dark, but very nice. What is that a mocha stain?
My pref would have been for more room under the desk, but it's not for me. Looks very functional otherwise.
--
Jeff

Thanks for NOT using alt.binaries.wood.crap.what.a.hassle.how.do.I.find.it.etc
Swingman wrote:

Very nice! Is there enough ventilation for the PC to live in the "cave"? If not, an extra fan may make it possible.
Bill

Quality work. Good for you.
I will show my ignorance by asking what picture #18 is. I am guessing a drawer laying on its side.
On 8/28/2013 10:40 AM, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

That is the cabinet carcass that will hold the file drawer. The pieces of wood on both sides of the slide are there to position it and keep it in place while attaching it to the sides of the carcass. They are simply spacers.
Leon wrote:

That picture is, by itself, another nice "lesson" in accuracy.
Bill
Leon wrote:

That is a really big project. I was curious, did you attach the face frame with (Festool) biscuits or cut dados? The first approach seems like it would be faster, but I'm not sure whether the quality would be as consistent (for me). Thanks again for yet another lesson.
Bill
On 8/28/2013 9:00 PM, Bill wrote:

Festool uses Domino floating tenons, not biscuits. ;~)
IIRC Swingman did not build the cabinets rather the file drawer insert-able cabinets that fit inside the existing cabinets. I believe everything, the face frames, doors, etc were already there. He build the file cabinets to fit like they were always there.
Swingman and I generally attach face frames to the carcass of a cabinet using dado's on the back sides of the face frame. and I generally use a back face frame also, mounted the same way.
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:45:24 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

You know, I never know if I should be more impressed by your mastery of CAD as is apparent in your drawings, or your work. Both are always top shelf.
It is always great to see your work and honestly, I haven't seen a project of yours I didn't like.
Thanks for posting. Since my company has been in "repairs only" mode for a few years I haven't gotten on the Sketchup wagon like I should have. Maybe when things slow down a bit for the holidays...
Robert