eWoodShop - Hutch End Cabinets 2010

To match the style of a "kitchen cabinet" hutch previously designed for the client, which itself was based on a kitchen hutch I built for her daughter in a custom home we built:

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:gPqdnX5rzI1big7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Yummy!!

Reply to
Han

Thanks, Han!

... I've been testing various naming conventions for bringing my old

90's 1.0 website into the 21st century by converting it into a possible "blog" (plus perhaps more exposure on G+ when it's opened to brands), and no better place than here, where some more woodworking content, albeit slightly rehashed, will hopefully not be amiss. :)
Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:W-CdnV-h26xLvA7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I don't mind being reminded of previously published nice woodworking stuff. I still need hints at what can be done, how it should be done, and how it looks ... I am in the process of constructing a wide (77") and high (32") window seat with a step in front of ~10" wide and 12" high. The darn thing has to also be storage and (steam heat) radiator cover. Spouse induced me to use left-over pieces of particle board and melamine parts of an old bookcase for the 5 uprights (1 in the middle for support and 2 times 2 to flank the radiator). There will be cushions on top of the thick pegboard seat (with pine moldings for support and show). But now I have to find ways to make the openings for the air circulation presentable, finish the edges of the uprights, and make doors for the storage compartments, a way to make the step able to flip up to access storage under it, etc. The whole thing also needs to be put together in situ at my daughter's, and it'll be about 7 times too heavy to transport as a single piece.

Reply to
Han

End tables/nightstands for a hutch? Go figure.

P.S: I like the scale. Height and setback are just right.

-- Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself. -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Check your G+ incoming ... just +'ed you in a post, re: window seats. I really like the way this guy does them:

are a number of shots in a row, just keep clicking.

(I don't know whether they will show up to those not on G+, they should if they've been posted "public")

Reply to
Swingman

> Cute. But what's with the concept?

"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die..."

Like I've said before, C-Less, I just build'em like they want, don't color them, don't ask too many questions, just put my head down and fulfill the contract.

I designed the original, so it damned well better be!

Thanks! Just kidding! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:l6-dncj-vOXpsg7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I answered on G+: Douglas Heffner: That's beautiful work, Douglas, which Karl Caillouet pointed me too. Since what I am making is per order from my wife largely from scrap, and it has to fit full-width in a dormer, under a window, and against a steam radiator, I just want to make it presentable. Eventually I'll put up some photos ... I'm retired, and have many things on my plate, so it may be a while!!

Reply to
Han

G+ is really turning out to be a cool place for those interested in woodworking, eh!

:)

Reply to
Swingman

at the top rail or was this a request? I need to place some on new home lower cabs and I was thinking 1/3 down the stile.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thank you!

Although this was "by request" in this case, it is also my personal preference (I always ask).

I've found that on FF cabinet's, and for "knobs" that's where most people want them, and where most trim carpenters will place them absent instructions to the contrary, for cabinets in other parts of the house, bath vanity, etc.

IOW, centered in the square made by the junction of the stile and rail.

On Euro style cabs, since it's often a "pull" rather than a "knob", I generally center on the top of the door, in line with adjacent drawers if possible, thusly:

I like about this approach is that it give you a "clocked" looked, much "clocking" the screws in a piece of fine woodwork.

This can be a real touchy thing to some clients, with some firm ideas, so prudence is the better part of valor, and not something I would take for granted.

Reply to
Swingman

but spent lots of time in cab shops and of course every home kitchen. I would find that confusing, looks like hugely deep drawers. Yes, I would ask first.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

NICE!

Reply to
Robatoy

Done which way? In that bunch of various kitchen photos, there are kitchens with many different knob/pull configurations, all done in accordance with the client's wishes.

Reply to
Swingman

LOL Time? It's there, trying to hide, but can be found.

Reply to
Swingman

>>> Cute. But what's with the concept?

So, you have only two 2-word phrases you use with clients, eh?

"Yassah, massah!" and "Pay me!"

;)

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Swingman wrote in news:f_SdnfE_eskdqA7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

And that is a good thing!

Reply to
Han

How do you get in on g+? Also Karl, what kind of finish did you use for

's very well done, applied by hand, or spray?

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
tiredofspam

Sign up for a gmail account, then go to:

and sign up for G+ there.

It is no longer by invitation and is open to the public, so anyone can sign up now.

Those are not my projects, they are another cabinet maker on G+ "Douglas Heffner".

If/when you sign up, circle me "Karl Caillouet" (or gplus link in sig below), and I will be glad to share my woodworking "circle" with you to get you started without having to go through building your own.

Robotoy, -MIKE-, Steve Turner, Leon, Han, and a couple of others who post here are already first gen G+ users, so you won't be lonely. :)

Reply to
Swingman