Everybody in the shop??? :)

Not seen any activity on the rec since early yesterday other than my errata post earlier this AM???

Reply to
dpb

Possibly, a great deal of rec time went into evolving the thread asking about a second hand compressor tank into a discussion of explosives, then pressure cookers, then into atomic bombs.

Actually made it in under 100 posts, though.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Then it blew up...

Reply to
woodchucker

I've been reading the various posts. Just because I don't comment, doesn't mean I'm not keeping up.

I've been busy. Nothing special, so haven't posted about it and haven't had any problems to ask for advice.... yet!

What do some retirees do? The past 2-3 weeks: Made 2 prie dieu for my upholstery teacher, to donate to a cause; While spraying the prie dieu, I sprayed 2 cedar slab sidetable tops (for a friend); Finished spraying the remaining sections of the entertainment center... Got the base, with its sections, moved into the house, which, finally, freed up some space in the shop!!; Making a few small projects to donate to the local master gardeners - decor water buckets & decor small wheel barrows; Denaiing, cleaning and planing salvaged pine flooring, ~~ 400 l/f done; Stripped, cleaned, repaired, repainting (today) 2 sets of old sashes for the (continuing) shop remodel; Also, for the shop, salvalaged about 5oo sq ft of insulation, from commercial construction up the road; Upholstery - Chase lounge and a recliner in the works; Tore apart an oak rolltop desk, to repair, for a friend. Caught 9 baby possums (on the back patio) eating the cat food. Something, other than the cat, is still eating the food.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nice. Reply of the month. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Busy. Thu. AM --Replaced washers and O rings in upstairs bathtub (35 yr old faucet) with only one trip to hardware store. Thu pm installed outside door. Picked up a short magnolia log.

Fri. built a deck and steps. 18" square, to allow dog access to above doggie door.

Sat. Finished two sweetgum bowls, roughed out 4 magnolia bowls. Started weighing all the drying bowls. I do this every 2 weeks. When they stop losing weight they are ready to finish turn.

Sun. Had lunch (Dinner in Georgia) with brothers and sisters at our Mom's house. (She is 101 years old). Finished weighing bowls. Found

40 which were dry.

Today. Flattened the bottoms and tops of the 40 bowls, re-rounded the dovetail recesses with router. Finished one sweetgum platter other than the bottom

Whew!

Reply to
G. Ross

Not just this group. There's a Linux group that's at least as active and it has had almost no traffic for a couple of days as well. I queried aioe but no answer as yet.

Has anyone using a different news server seen the same thing or is it just aioe?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

----------------------------------------- Astraweb.com has been very quiet.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Second full week of retirement for me, so I'm just getting the hang of it. However ... finally fixed the loose toilet seat, got the first coat of fin ish on my son't buffet (can't wait to get this project out of my shop), bro wsed CL for reclaimed hardwood, put my INCRA jig up on Sawmill Creek and CL (like to get $30 if anyone is interested), doodled some designs for daught er's jewelry armoire and took a decent nap every afternoon.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

OK, you posted a lot of stuff that was no doubt challenging and time consuming.

To me, that was the most impressive. One trip? You should apply for your master's license. I am wrestling with a plumber now at a client's house that can't get a brand new Moen single handle installed so it doesn't leak somewhere inside or outside of the wall.

I am a lousy plumber. If I had repaired a 35 year old fixture in one trip for parts I would have taken the rest of the day off!!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

OK, I cheated. I had to repair the one downstairs (just like it) 10 years ago. If I have to make a trip to get 2 faucet washers I get 4. Same with street ells, O Rings, etc. So I still had the flat washers and one set of O rings to fit. The little skinny O rings on the outside is what I had to get. I musta used my spares somewhere else in the past 10 years.

Reply to
G. Ross

No, no. I won't have it. Mike is right... 'tis the Divil's own werk, lad".

Plumbing can be really easy (about 1/2% of 1% of the time) and the rest is usually awful.

I am still impressed.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I barely stayed out of jail yesterday because of a plumber ... I may still shoot the next one I see for the hell of it.

Reply to
Swingman

Amen Robert. I have the dubious reputation of having the fecal touch when it comes to plumbing. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Guy calls a plumber to repair his toilet.

Plumber arrives, repairs the toilet and hands the guy an invoice for $200.00 for his 15 minute service call.

The guy screams, I'm a DOCTOR and I only charge $150.00 for a 15 minute visit.

Plumber responds, "I know, that's why I left my medical practice and became a plumber".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What I know about plumbing.

1.. You often work in spaces that critters live in.
  1. You are always bigger than the space you are working in.
  2. When you drop a wrench there is a 50/50 chance it will hit you in the head.
  3. You never quite get the water supply shut off before removing a part.
  4. Too loose and the fitting leaks, too tight and the fitting leaks.
Reply to
Leon

OK, after today I will bring the ammo.

We are going to have to tear out tile because of a pin hole leak in a solder joint in the new manifold behind the new wall. Tear out tile...

Will the newly purchased tile match the dye lot? Will the new grout match?

Maybe if I use bleach to get the plumber's blood off the walls before comparing...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I can rebuild toilets, set sinks, replace cartridges, set toilets, replace fixtures and garbage disposals, replace water heaters (including all new bells and whistles needed for code compliance these days) and replace most kitchen/bath sink fixtures.

I can solder, replace copper, and even run copper as needed.

But I cannot solder what I cannot see. My old plumber was like Cain on the Kung Fu series and if he could see just part of the joint or connection, he could solder all of it the first time. I have seen him solder by heating with a torch in one hand and a mirror in the other with a headlight on the mirror to shine it behind a joint like your doctor used to do with his forehead mirror.

Me, I have to see ALL of of a connection in good light and test it with soap to be satisfied. So I have NO business soldering inside a wall.

But for $125 for a service call and $95 an hour after that... crap. I want a helluva lot more than I am getting these days.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Sounds like a story to be told, hopefully your not still in Arkansas

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

mean I'm not keeping up.

any problems to ask for advice.... yet!

Past two days been bailing out a shipping company. My neighbor is moving to Holland and they showed up with a semi with a 40' container on it. House on 6 acres with a gravel drive in a U shape. Spent the day with an excavator and backhoe moving rocks removing stumps and generally trashing landscaping. Then they had nothing to lift heavy loads into the container. Today I spent the better part of the day putting rocks back replanting Rhody's and regrading the driveway. Before that we had a windstorm which brought trees down so my friend who has a tree company had me out helping him for a few days. I'm on SS Disability and that much work reminds me of why I don't work. Probably be a few days to get back to the shop. It's kind of wood working but I do get some nice pieces of wood out of it.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M