Ever seen kingwood?

http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/cup.jpg
The workmanship is nothing special, but it is the prettiest wood I have ever seen. I have about 5bf of it and have to find a special use! It turns reasonably well, but perhaps after just doing a wenge bowl anything would seem okay.

Yes, Kingwood is a very pretty wood. It also comes in a purplish shade. Steve of Knight Toolworks has a few marking knives that I made handles for and some are made of Kingwood.
Very Expensive too. If I had 5 BF I think I would consider turning it into veneer for a bigger yield. I'd hate to think that the center of that piece was wasted. ;~(

It was purple when freshly cut, but turned brown almost immediately.
Sand that sucker to 800 or 1200 grit then burnish with dry shavings and it'll come up almost like glass. Add carnuba and it'll take a glass like finish.
Global Wood Source here in SillyCone Valley often has cut offs of the stuff in their exotics scrap bin. Sold by the pound but I'm betting it's less expensive than by the bf.
If you like kingwood try and get your hands on some Persian Walnut. Stuff is HARD and HEAVY - with blues purples and reds in it. Absolutely gorgeous.
charlie b