Ever blast your eye with an air nailer exhaust?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:46:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jerry - OHIO) wrote:

Several times I've seen Amish framing carpenters working on projects around Cleveland. Scrambling around with no safety rigging, no hardhats, no safety glasses, bare hands, yikes. And from what I understand, the local builders love them; they show up on time, know what they're doing, work hard, and don't complain.
"Bill" wrote in message

No lawyers or politicians can make a big difference in the work ethic of a culture.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
: "Bill" wrote in message
:> Several times I've seen Amish framing carpenters working on projects :> around Cleveland. Scrambling around with no safety rigging, no :> hardhats, no safety glasses, bare hands, yikes. And from what I :> understand, the local builders love them; they show up on time, know :> what they're doing, work hard, and don't complain.
: No lawyers or politicians can make a big difference in the work ethic of a : culture.
Maybe, but "work ethic" (i.e. "works hard") doesn't mean "works without proper safety gear".
The latter is better paraphrased as "works stupid".
    -- Andy Barss
Bill wrote:

So if they had safety gear, they'd arrive late, forget what they know, slack off, and bitch all day? <G>
There are folks who can work safe, hard, and competently.

I find that once I don my safety gear, I can concentrate on the task at hand, without having to look sideways at a saw spitting out chunks of material... I have mentioned here before, that I get a lot of comfort from a leather shop apron, simply because I don't care what hits it.. simple chips or saw-dust..all fine by me, and I know that a stray router-bit (and my work is very router dependant, some bits quite large) won't cut me. It also keeps belt-buckles, cell-phone pouch out of the way.. and my pockets don't fill with chaff. I have converted a few fellow butchers to wearing them, and they couldn't imagine walking into their shop without an apron now.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I used to wear a cloth apron. But the pockets would rapidly fill up with sawdust and chips. Then I started welding and used a leather welding apron. That was better, but I missed the pockets. I mentioned this to the guy at the welding store. He took me in back and showed me his apron.
He had taken leather from an old apron and sewed up some pockets that fit inside the apron along the top. He could put pens, etc. into these pockets. And since they were on the inside, they did not fill up with air borne junk.
I broke out an old leather sewing awl and made up some pockets for my welding apron. And bought a new one for woodwork and did the same thing.

One hangs at the ready just inside the door to the garage. I have a interesting scar looks like an M. Playing catch with the tablesaw bad idea.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
The only tool you should use without eye protection is between your legs.

You can shoot that in your eye if your good!!!
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/THENORTHCOASTPT
CW wrote:

I can put an eye out with that thing! <G>

Besides, you should always use a one eyed monk protector when you're putting it in a strange, um, monastery.