Ever blast your eye with an air nailer exhaust?

Page 2 of 3
The theory is less flicker and less electricity consumed. I used T8 in the wash rack in the barn in the water tight fixture. I did not look at the flicker compares to the HO T12 fixtures which flicker a lot when it is close to freezing. Maybe they are not HO but single pin. I guess HO was what I had in a building where the fixtures were 30 feet off the ground.

Sorry I missed your question last time I looked here. Yes.. the T8 are more efficient, start in the cold and supposedly last longer. T8 will fit in a regular fixture (with two pins on each end) but flicker more. Then you can change the balast designed for t-8 and the flicker goes away and in my case the humming all disappeared too. The cold start is what got me going on T-8's... the rest was just a bonus.
HTH

I installed four T8 fluorescent fixtures (two 48" bulbs each), with electronic ballasts, in our garage when we built it a few years ago. Compared to all other lights I've used in the past, they are wonderful!
They come on instantly, with no flickering, even in cold weather. If it's really cold, they may be slightly dimmer for a few minutes, but they're usually up to full brightness by the time I turn on the heat and radio. :)
Mine are low profile so they fit snug against the ceiling giving me more room to swing boards around and whatnot. They also have nice covers to keep out dust and protect the bulbs if I get careless and smack one with a board.
The fluorescents also provide much more even lighting than the incandescent bulbs I was used during construction, and use about a third of the power. They've been in place about six years now and I'm still using all eight original bulbs.
The only downside was cost. I paid something like $80 per fixture, plus the cost of the bulbs. But I'm very happy I spent the money to get the better lights.
Anthony
todd wrote:

Any electrical supplier should have them, as they are code for many commercial installations.

So will the tablesaw blade guard be removed next time a daring feat is needed?
Mark
"Markem" wrote in message

You betcha ... but don't worry, I'll keep the splitter on.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" <wrote in message

Some days I must perform feats of daring just to get out to the "work area".

Senior?? ... ahh, you mean those old guys around 80? I still have 16 years to go, maybe.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Put's a whole new light on Table Dancing. That's an image you won't get out of your head for a while, Swingman Table Dancing. :-)
Glad it all worked out OK though.
"Bill Stock" wrote in message

out
In retrospect, it was probably as funny as that image is grotesque. ;)

Thanks ... still shudder to think of two eyefulls of thin slivers of glass.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

All the effort I put in to protect my eyes, and you go ahead and make me blind!
Bastard! <G>

HEY!! I'm trying eat my lunch here!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a 12' ceiling and have managed to knock out at least 2 8' HO tubes. I then discovered why the hell they sold those "funky looking" clear tubes in the bulb section of Lowes.
I must have found glass for two weeks after the last mishap and have now slipped those clear tubes over just about all tubes that can come in the line of fire.
Swingman wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message

Like I said, I've never even seen them ... I'll be on the lookout, and glad that I can be.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
workinstiff wrote:

I've never done it.
I have prescription safety glasses with side shields. If I'm wearing my contacts, I wear goggles. Anyone who wears contacts knows that a speck of dust can feel like a basketball if it gets under the lens! <G>
There's an awful lot of stuff that really I like to do that I wouldn't be able to do with eye damage. It would simply be stupid to work without protection.

As my furniture mentor would say: You can walk on a wooden leg, you can eat with dentures, but you won't see fuck-all with glass eyes.
Robatoy wrote:

A true keeper!
*snip*

*snip*
I was wondering if they made those... I usually opt for goggles that fit over my glasses rather than safety glasses, but my glasses still get dusty. (No, I haven't tried chemical spill goggles yet. Need a nice WW day first.)
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

Ask at the same places you get your glasses. Sometimes, they even have clip on side shields laying around that they might even give you.
Done that once also, I use to work for a builder in Ohio ,we sub contracted Amish framers and never saw them wear safety glasses. Sawing & nailing all day long with out any problems ,but ! did see a kid shoot a nail in his knuckle on his middle finger . He pulled it out and i took him home to put "Salve " on it ,he worked the next day
I would still have been unconscious and not work for days Woosey Yanks
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/THENORTHCOASTPT