Evening class in Glasgow

I'm looking for an evening class in carpentry somewhere in Glasgow. I'm not looking for a professional qualification, just something light for DIY projects. More general DIY courses might also suit. Can anybody recommend anything?

I've tried some light Googling and some Email enquiries, but the one course I found (a college in North Glasgow somewhere) apparently never runs because it never gets any takers.

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: | I'm looking for an evening class in carpentry somewhere in Glasgow. | I'm not looking for a professional qualification, just something | light for DIY projects. More general DIY courses might also suit. | Can anybody recommend anything? | | I've tried some light Googling and some Email enquiries, but the one | course I found (a college in North Glasgow somewhere) apparently | never runs because it never gets any takers. | | Peter

In the USA, many high schools (last four years of secondary education) offer "adult education" and/or "continuing edication" classes in the evenings. These programs are non-academic and, with the exception of some first aid classes, offer no certification. Most frequently they're conducted by a someone with an unusually keen interest in the subject and who enjoys sharing their knowledge with others.

It would seem reasonable to me to expect that you might be able to find similar offerings in the Glasgow area - and I'd guess that you might find it at a pre-college level school.

Disgustingly, my only info on education in the UK is a two-page article (in French!) in the middle of a paper-back Larousse English/French dictionary - and after working my way through it all, they mention that the system is different in Scotland. :-(

Good luck!

Morris Dovey

I hate to mention it but there has to be probaly dozens of Glasgows over here , which one were you referring to ?

Reply to
mike hide

| I hate to mention it but there has to be probaly dozens of Glasgows | over here , which one were you referring to ?

Most probably the original:

Morris Dovey

You're right - Glasgow, Scotland. It would have made much more sense to post this in a UK group, which I will now go and do.

Thanks for your response anyway!

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

Wed, May 30, 2007, 6:03am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com doth sayeth: You're right - Glasgow, Scotland. It would have made much more sense to post this in a UK group, which I will now go and do. Thanks for your response anyway!

Yep, saying from the start would have prevented the confusion. I wondered myself.

Network. Check the phone book, neer know what you'll find in there untl you look. Call any interesting numbers, and if they can't help, ask if tey know anyone that might be able to. Might be a hobbist or so in your area who might be willing to help you out. Ask at your local hardware store, wood place, anyone you can get to listen. Amazing sometimes what you can find that way. And, if you've got kids, ask them. Amazing how much stuff they know that they figure you already know.

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

Tue, May 29, 2007, 6:19am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com doh sayeth: the one course I found (a college in North Glasgow somewhere) apparently never runs because it never gets any takers.

I happened to think about that on my trip to town. Our local community periodically sends ut a newsletter telling what classs are available, dates, what's needed to qualify for that class, etc. So strikes me that th college probably isn't getting the word out. I've never been, but I've heard Glasgow is a fair sized village, so I doubt seriously you'd be the only one interested. I'd say they need to do something similar, or put up fliers, or get a reporter to write a pece on the class (free advertising for the college), or smething. I'd say ask how they get the word out, if th do, and maybe you can give them some ideas on promting the class - so you can go. LOL If I wanted it bad enough, that's about what I'd do.