Evansville Woodcraft Store closing sale

Evansville Woodcraft store is closing, after 10 years of being in business. More info at:

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

FYI: Just phoned, no "major power tools" (except a couple scroll saws).

We lost a Woodcraft in Indianapolis a few years ago..I guess we couldn't support 2 of them along with Rockler too.

Reply to
Bill

Bill, Has the Woodcraft store 86th closed? The shop I miss the most in Indy was the Wood-Works Shop on US 40. Well worth the 2.5 hour drive to visit their well stocked store...

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

As far as I know, we never had two Woodcrafts at once in Indianapolis. The one that was on 82nd Street in front of the Castleton Mall closed about three years before the current one (next to I-69) opened. If there ever was another one, I'm not aware of it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not unless it *just* happened -- I've bought from them as recently as last month. There used to be one on East 82nd St, in front of the Castleton Square Mall, but it closed two or three years before the one on 86th St opened.

Yeah, I miss that place too, and the couple that ran it. They were good people.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, the 86th street store remains (as Doug mentions below).

Reply to
Bill

You are probably correct. When I "found" the 2nd Woodcraft store, I guess I didn't realize that it was a brand new store. It was more like, "How did I overlook this store?"? I stand corrected.

Reply to
Bill

They were indeed! Miss the Saturday woodworking classes. A group of us discovered their shop after attending the wood working show at the state fair in Indy. We had more fun at the Wood-Works shop, the next year we went there first. Haven?t been to the wood working show for a couple of years now: is it worth the fuel to attend next January?

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

I'm not sure how far you're driving (from Evansville?). The "The Woodworking Shows" event was really popular this year (actually a little too-crowded) and very good. I went to a different woodworking show in the same general location about 2 years ago that made me feel ripped-off. So, it pays to be discerning.

Print out the program before you go, and you'll know exactly why you're driving that far, and you'll find a seat for the (hour-long) presentations. Because of the number of attendees, I was disappointed that I wouldn't really watch 2 in a row. Have fun!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's not as large a show as it was eight or nine years ago, but this year's show was (IMHO) a *lot* better than three years or so ago -- I was so disappointed that I didn't go for a couple of years. This year was my first year back since '08 or maybe '07.

The main difference I noticed this year compared to, say, '02 or '03, was not as many classes and demonstrations as there used to be. Not quite as many vendors, either -- there was a book dealer from somewhere south of here, Louisville, Cincinnati, I'm not sure, who used to be at the show every year. I don't remember seeing him this year.

Lee Valley had a nice booth, and some very good demonstrations given by skilled craftsmen who were also articulate presenters.

I can't say whether it's worth the time and fuel for you to drive up from Evansville. I plan on going to next year's show -- but I live less than ten minutes from the fairgrounds, so time and gas aren't really an issue for me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug, and Bill,

Thanks for the info on the woodworking show. I am now planning to attend next years show.

The book dealer may have been Manny Shambhee he owns Manny's Woodworkers Place in Lexington, KY. He has been at the Tri-state Woodcarving Show in Evansville, for the pass two years: stocks a lot of woodworking books and woodcarving magazines.

Neil

Reply to
Rita and Neil Ward

Just curious -- once you get to Indy, what route to you take to get to the fairgrounds?

That's the one. Huge selection of good stuff. I don't think he was there this year. Hope he will be next year.

Reply to
Doug Miller