European-style workbench

I am building myslef a European-style workbench with a solid Maple top. Should 2 1/2" thickness be enough? I have seen plans with the tool trough both in the center and at the rear. What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks

Ray

Reply to
Roy Warren

2 1/2" should be more than enough.

I don't think the center trough is really for tools. I'm supposing you're thinking about the Veritas workbench. You really can't put anything in the center trough because it's not really a trough. There's just no center section in their workbench. I think this has to do with saving material and cost, but I like having a center section.

As far as having a tool trough at the rear of the bench that's up to you. I guess it comes in handy, but personally I'd rather have a bench with a competely flat top front to back. I've read some people think the trough just collects tools till you're forced to clean it out. :-)

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

Layne responds:

That's what it does for me, in addition to sawdust and shavings. For the anal types who replace every tool as it is used in turn...tool troughs are fine. Me, I usually need to grab the tool again, a few minutes, or hours, after its turn is over.

Charlie Self

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it." George Carlin

Reply to
Charlie Self

I built myself the Veritas-styled bench, purchasing the raw slabs from Lee Valley.

The Veritas slabs are only 2" think (I think - I'm at work), and I've never wished the bench to be thicker.

I don't see any difference between center and back for holding tools, waste and shavings. I like having a trough to do all that.

However, there is a big difference if you want to run a clamp under something resting on the bench. I do this a fair amount, and find it really handy.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Campbell