Estate planning for woodworkers

Has anyone solved the problem of what to do with equipment and supplies upo n death? The wife and I are going over our wills,etc. and this has come up. I don't have any children and none of my siblings are interested in woodwo rking. I was thinking of leaving my stuff to one of the local HS woodshops. But I also was wondering if there was a non-profit that would aid students to get scholarships at some of the woodworking schools (College of the Red woods, North Bennett, etc.). Did anyone find anything like that?
Thanks,
MJ

If you don't find anybody who wants it, at least write down the correct name for each item so that if it ends up on craingslist it'll at least be labelled properly.
[There seem to be people who think that any saw that has any sort of table, or sits on a bench/table is a "table saw".]
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I had pancake makeup
at for brunch!
On 07/29/2014 10:27 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Be sure to include approximate current value as well. It's a good bet your widow won't have a clue, unless she's also a woodworker.
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
"MJ" wrote in message

My woodworking club (about 900 members as I recall) occasionally receives estate items ranging from a few tools, to buildings full of wood, to whole shops. We're a 501(c)3 so there are tax advantages for the estate if they need them. In regards to the tools, if they can be used in our shops they are kept. Everything else is surplused (auctioned) with the monies used to support our programs. Wood is generally auctioned though in some cases it goes towards community service projects.
We regularly receive lists of estate tools for sale from deceased member's families and non-members who were directed to us. In those cases the estate conducts its own transactions with the club member buyers.
Another option might be to talk with your local Boy Scout Council, another 501(c)3. There may be a need for tools there and they could sell the remainder off to fund their programs or cover capital expenses.
John

If there are lots of antique hand tools, call someone like Pete Niederberger on the west coast, or Patrick Leach on the east coast.
Scott
On 7/29/2014 1:12 PM, MJ wrote:

I would just not worry with it, a wood worker will end up with it one way or another. If you go before your wife, GARAGE SALE.
I have created a list of the major stuff in my shop with the minimum price my wife should accept for each, assuming neither of my kids wants the stuff. The risk in this, of course, is that she may sell out my shop to get her car back in the garage.
Larry