Epoxy Question

Page 1 of 3
I assume that I need epoxy.
Some friends of my wife are making some crafts that involve gluing pieces of thin metal, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, etc. to wood. Sometimes they laminate several layers together for a certain kind of look. The wimpy glue they sell in the craft store is not doing its job. They asked me if I had a recommendation. My immediate response was to ask Lew!
The pieces are pretty things that will sit on a shelf. They don't need to be handled. There would be no problem mixing anything up. Although, something in a tube or can already to go, would be preferable. I am buying a bunch of cheapo clamps for them at HF. I suspect that lack of clamping force (or no clamps) was part of their problems.
Any suggestions anyone? Thanks,
Lee
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 11, 10:31 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

In some situations clamping can starve a joint, especially when gluing dissimilar materials.
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

Not to worry. These are elderly ladies. I don't think they posses the hand strength to "starve" a glue joint.
They wanted the clamps anyway.. But they thought that they were too expensive.. I told them about Harbor Freight and the many sales they have. This, they understand. Apparently craft stores have sales all the time. So they are looking for the HF coupons now. I have to pick up some parts down the street from a HF in the next week or so. So I will pick up the clamps for them. The last time I was at HF, they had the little clamps they wanted on sale.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 11, 11:30 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

her pet rhinoceros.
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 11, 11:51 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

A girl of course, she isn't weird or anything...
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:44:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

No wonder you're so odd, Toy. You were raised on homegrown Canuckistani bananas and fresh squoze rhino milk...
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/11/2011 10:31 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

How about screwing a piece of flat metal (or other non-porous material) to the wood to give yourself more of a fighting chance?
Bill

Add pictures here
✖
Hang on, Lee. Lew (hopefully!) will be along shortly.
Epoxy is his thing.
Robert
Add pictures here
✖
"Bill" wrote

They have a certain way of doing things. The glue is the only problem. They have everything else they need. Come up with a good glue, they are happy. My wife is happy. This all goes away.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 11, 10:24 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

By Gawd there's the voice of experience!!!
I laughed my ass off when I read that!
"This allll goes away...."
I feel, you buddy.
;^)
Robert
Add pictures here
✖

is better if I actually take care of some of these things.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 11, 12:35 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Then teach them to mix resorcinol-formaldehyde resin glue... excellent for aircraft...and with all them bats around....wait.. I didn't really say that...
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:24:24 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

They probably don't need "a" good glue. Do the crafts live indoors or out? What temp ranges? Humidity ranges?
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Add pictures here
✖

sit on a shelf when done.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 12, 12:41 am, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Here's the ticket:
http://www.weldbond.com/weldbond_product_guide
Water cleanup, transluscent glue-line, cheap. Sticks most things to most things... one side needs to be porous (wood?)
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

I like it.
It is cheap and universally available. I will get some for my wife and everybody else can get there own. My life just got simpler.
You are pretty smart for a guy raised on rhino milk. (Did the rhino play in the canals?)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 12, 3:44 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Only when waterskiing.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/11/2011 9:31 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Lew undoubtedly will have additional input; I'd think the dual-plunger kits from anywhere would be work. Makes the mixing pretty straightforward as they work reasonably well to dispense near-enough equal parts.
It'll be somewhat messy of course, so they'll have to deal w/ something to protect clamp surfaces, etc., or they'll glue them to the pieces as well... :)
✖
"dpb" wrote

available. I wonder if the craft stores sell them?

wear latex gloves.
Add pictures here
✖