Epoxy Question

I assume that I need epoxy.

Some friends of my wife are making some crafts that involve gluing pieces of thin metal, copper, aluminum, stainless steel, etc. to wood. Sometimes they laminate several layers together for a certain kind of look. The wimpy glue they sell in the craft store is not doing its job. They asked me if I had a recommendation. My immediate response was to ask Lew!

The pieces are pretty things that will sit on a shelf. They don't need to be handled. There would be no problem mixing anything up. Although, something in a tube or can already to go, would be preferable. I am buying a bunch of cheapo clamps for them at HF. I suspect that lack of clamping force (or no clamps) was part of their problems.

Any suggestions anyone? Thanks,

Lee

Reply to
Lee Michaels

In some situations clamping can starve a joint, especially when gluing dissimilar materials.

Reply to
Robatoy

How about screwing a piece of flat metal (or other non-porous material) to the wood to give yourself more of a fighting chance?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hang on, Lee. Lew (hopefully!) will be along shortly.

Epoxy is his thing.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Not my project.

They have a certain way of doing things. The glue is the only problem. They have everything else they need. Come up with a good glue, they are happy. My wife is happy. This all goes away.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote

-------------------------------

Not to worry. These are elderly ladies. I don't think they posses the hand strength to "starve" a glue joint.

They wanted the clamps anyway.. But they thought that they were too expensive.. I told them about Harbor Freight and the many sales they have. This, they understand. Apparently craft stores have sales all the time. So they are looking for the HF coupons now. I have to pick up some parts down the street from a HF in the next week or so. So I will pick up the clamps for them. The last time I was at HF, they had the little clamps they wanted on sale.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Lew undoubtedly will have additional input; I'd think the dual-plunger kits from anywhere would be work. Makes the mixing pretty straightforward as they work reasonably well to dispense near-enough equal parts.

It'll be somewhat messy of course, so they'll have to deal w/ something to protect clamp surfaces, etc., or they'll glue them to the pieces as well... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

You haven't met my 89-year old mother..... developed strength milking her pet rhinoceros.

Reply to
Robatoy

"dpb" wrote

That may be just the ticket. I have seen those around, so they are available. I wonder if the craft stores sell them?

Nitrile gloves would probably be a good idea as well. Some of them already wear latex gloves.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Robatoy" wrote

Was the rhino a boy or a girl?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

By Gawd there's the voice of experience!!!

I laughed my ass off when I read that!

"This allll goes away...."

I feel, you buddy.

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Also a roll of waxed paper to protect the table and provide a non-stick surface to place the objects.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Yep, they consider me to be a tall, male problem solver/fixer. And my life is better if I actually take care of some of these things.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Gerald Ross" wrote

Waxed Paper, check.

I am sure they have waxed paper around. And since the projects are small, they can use what they have on hand.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

------------------------------ Talk to System 3.

Great folks and they are in the Seattle area, which makes them local for you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Contact cement, industrial strength double-stick tape or something like 3M 5200/4200 if waiting for it to cure isn't a problem. Whatever they use cleaning the metal is critical, so they should make it a habit of wiping down the pieces with a degreaser and then alcohol.

RicodJour

A girl of course, she isn't weird or anything...

Reply to
Robatoy

------------------------------ I'd also talk to SikaFlex tech service in metro Detroit.

Once again, great guys.

They have an 800 #.

Sealants and adhesives are their bag.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

a tube of ge silicone 2 from the borg in a caulking gun.

clamp and let sit for 24 hours.

Reply to
chaniarts

Liquid nails