Epoxy or?

I need to secure two plexiglass supports to a wooden base. The support wil l hold a piece of art glass. The plexiglass is 3/8 inch thick and about 1 inch wide. I have cut mortises into the base to accept the supports. One i s a snug fit and the other wiggles a bit. What should I use to permanently secure the supports in their mortises?

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

ill hold a piece of art glass. The plexiglass is 3/8 inch thick and about

1 inch wide. I have cut mortises into the base to accept the supports. One is a snug fit and the other wiggles a bit. What should I use to permanent ly secure the supports in their mortises?

Larry, I've had a lot of luck with applications similar to yours with E-6000. Mad e by the same company that makes Shoe Goo and similar in consistency. Gene

Reply to
GeneT

I need to secure two plexiglass supports to a wooden base. The support will hold a piece of art glass. The plexiglass is 3/8 inch thick and about 1 inch wide. I have cut mortises into the base to accept the supports. One is a snug fit and the other wiggles a bit. What should I use to permanently secure the supports in their mortises?

-------------------------------------------------- As a sailor, 3M5200 adhesive/sealant ring any bells.

Will remain pliable after curing which will handle changes in expansion of non equal materials in contact with one another.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Gramps' shop" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

Bolts. Drill and tap.

Reply to
dadiOH

Seconded this recommendation.

E-6000 is quite a bit less viscous than Shoe Goo and will spread well. It stays flexible, but holds tenaciously.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Roger Long said that sailors should be forced to have a note from their mothers before being allowed to buy 5200. :)

Reply to
Richard

I was going to suggest Goop or one of the silicone epoxy variations (E6000), but tapping may be a better idea. Plex taps well and if this is clear plex it may well look better.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Tap worked fine. Project finished. Now have both E6000 and epoxy on hand for future endeavors, assuming I can remember where I stashed them.

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop