Epoxy Mirror Coat Finish

I am about to finish a kitchen table. I am considering using the Mirror Coat finish put out by System Three instead of using polyurethane because I want a durable finish that will withstand my four little ones:

Does anyone have any experience using this as a finish for a kitchen table?

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I don't. :/ Do have a Remington rifle with an epoxy finish on it tho, and compared to urethane it's harder and much more durable. A lot better stuff than the urethane finish I put inside the barrel channel after free floating the barrel. I say go for the epoxy! :)

I used some 5 minute epoxy on a walnut gear shift knob once and it worked out to last like two years... it's been three and I need to re-do it. ;) Other varnishes lasted no more than a couple weeks. :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:36:54 -0400, Andy wrote (in message ):

I have pleny of experience with their epoxy glues, not their finishes. If they say it's good then you can belive it. They are superb company.

Reply to
Ken Buddha

Epoxy is not good with any sun shinning on it. If the table is going to be in the sun at all you might want to consider a different finish.

Reply to
Grant

I haven't used the Mirror Coat but I'm getting lots of experience using their standard resin, as well as their T88 repair product. They make superb epoxy products, very well supported, terrific publications and web site. I took a little course at the local Woodcraft given by the System 3 Rep on using their products in a variety of applications. The stuff is really fun to use and it can change your woodworking. Very worthwhile. Usual disclaims; not affiliated, etc.

Reply to
brad

I, too, am about to finish a kitchen table like the original poster and was considering this same product. However, I'm not a fan of high gloss finishes (except on pianos). How could I take it down to more of a satin finish?

Reply to
Ian Dodd