Epoxy for holes in trim

I caught a part of "This old house" and they were using epoxy to fill some holes in the outside trim around the windows. Didn't see the whole show. Has anyone ever done this? I can replace the trim but we're going to get the place sided. What kind of epoxy? Saw the stuff Billy Mays pushes, sandable and can paint it. Or should I just replace the trim?
Thanks Jimmy

That depends on the trim and the holes. Are the holes from wood rot or some other cause? You may have to stabilize the wood around the holes if there's wood rot with something like Git Rot that uses capillary action and very thin viscosity epoxy to soak up through the wood fibers. Abatron is one manufacturer of epoxy for your application. You can sand and paint pretty much any epoxy.

That depends on the trim and the holes. Are the holes from wood rot or some other cause? You may have to stabilize the wood around the holes if there's wood rot with something like Git Rot that uses capillary action and very thin viscosity epoxy to soak up through the wood fibers. Abatron is one manufacturer of epoxy for your application. You can sand and paint pretty much any epoxy.
Yes, from wood rot. I'll dig out all the rotten stuff to good wood then use Git Rot then fill with epoxy. Sound right?
Thanks

That depends on the amount of rot. Here's a good link to an excellent forum: http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7967
In a nutshell, you can repair what's in place to a large extent, but depending on how extensive the rot is, what lengths (cost/effort) you are willing to go to make sure that you kill what's causing the rot, and how difficult/expensive it would be to replace the wood trim, you might be better off just replacing the trim.