Envy...and amazement.

Long story short, today I walked into a garage, was at first amazed by how crowded, disorganized and dusty it was, and later shook my head in amazement at the treasure trove of tools housed within.
I was just in to look for a tarp, but I took a pretty good look around (and behind, and under). Unisaw, Jet lathe, Performax drum sander, Delta 6" jointer, Makita SCMS, a couple of dust collectors, a Delta 3hp shaper, various Dewalt, Porter Cable and other quality power tools. Stuff was everywhere, on the floor, under clothes, in cardboard boxes. No possible way you could really do any work in there. In fact, I didn't even notice the workbench until I glimpsed a Veritas brass bench dog sticking out from under a pizza box.
And that's just the beginning. Turns out this guy wanted to be a cabinetmaker but realized he could make (loads) more money as a GC. He's got chisels, gouges and turning tools of all size and description - Sorby, Japanese blue-steel, etc... He's got measuring tools by Starrett. You need a handsaw? Pick one of the Pax variety from half a dozen. Pull saws more your style? We got those too. And behind the last door? A full set of Lie Nielsen planes. And I mean *full*. We're talking jointers, jacks and blocks....shoulder planes, specialty planes - you name it. There must have been twenty of them in there.
<sigh> I know that I'm not ready for all of those planes yet, it justsurprised me to see_those_tools in *that* environment. But you know what? I wouldn't trade my Veritas low-angle block for his Lie Nielsen. I've read that the Veritas is every bit as good as the LN, and I fettled mine myself - dead flat sole, slight chamfer to leading edge and a blade that's ScarySharp. (I might trade it for his 7 1/2 though!)
JP
"Jay Pique" wrote in message.com...

Scared me for a second ... thought I'd forgot to lock up when I left.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/05
Swingman wrote:

No kiddin. I knew it wasn't me though because there was no mention of all the coffee cups perched on every ledge and shelf, with all manner of penicillin experiments growing in side them.
Robert
eganders wrote:

Possibly the whole lot of it. Probably none of it. It sort of depends on how well I negotiate - the other day he asked if I'd be interested in working full-time for him, in his shop.
I've been working as a sub on a pole-barn he's building behind his house. The barn is to house his offices in 800 square feet of it, a storage facility for tools and materials in 1200sf. and the final 1200 feet will be for a wooodshop, which he now wants me to run. His business is fine homebuilding, and he'd like to put more emphasis on "fine" (and on the bottom line!). Which is where I come in.
I come from a pretty diverse background and have a strong interest in building my skills as a woodworker. He's looking for someone to do millwork, architectural woodworking and cabinets for him. Right now he sources a lot of it out, which is expensive and difficult to manage. He thinks I can come in and more efficiently do those things. I think so too.
What I'm struggling with is whether or not I want to work *for* somebody full-time. Right now I'm becoming fairly busy on my own, and I'm looking towards the day when I can set up my own shop - MY way. This could be an outstanding learning experience though...
Things are looking up!
JP ************** Improving.
Fri, Nov 18, 2005, 2:34pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JayPique) doth say: <snip> I'm looking towards the day when I can set up my own shop - MYway. This could be an outstanding learning experience though...<snip>
I won't tell you that you should take it. But, I will definitely say consider it. Yep, it could be a learning experience (for setting up your own shop included), it's always nice to have an assurred wage job, and inside work is not a negative thing either.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
Everything JOAT said and taking the job doesn't have to be forever.
SteveP.
(Jay Pique) doth say: <snip> I'm looking towards the day when I can set up my own shop - MYway. This could be an outstanding learning experience though...<snip>
I won't tell you that you should take it. But, I will definitely say consider it. Yep, it could be a learning experience (for setting up your own shop included), it's always nice to have an assurred wage job, and inside work is not a negative thing either.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
Highland Pairos wrote:

Yep - you guys are right. I talked it over with a few people and decided that I'm going to take it and do the absolute best I can. Part of me was concerned about setting up future competition for myself, but I no longer feel that's the case. This will be a paid education on starting and running a small shop. I'm very excited.
Further bulletins as events warrant.
JP
Sun, Nov 20, 2005, 6:49am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (JayPique) exclaimed: <snip> I'm very excited. Further bulletins as events warrant.
That is REALLY more than I wanted to hear.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Hmm, you sure do seem to be having a hard time carrying that tarp, I don't remember it being that heavy, or having a bunch of rosewood handles sticking out of it...
-Leuf