Enlarging a hole for a deadbolt

OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires

2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job.

Anyone got a cool trick?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Fill the hole with wood putty, let it set up and redrill with correct size hole saw Chuck

Reply to
C C

How 'bout get a 3/4" thick piece of scrap. Make hole with the new hole saw. Clamp scrap into position over where you want bigger hole. Drill hole.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

That's a lot of putty. Could take several applications, and a week or more for all of it to set up. Now I'm wondering about screwing a piece of scrap wood to one side of the door and using that as a target for the guide bit.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Use a 1-3/4" hole saw as guide and piggy back a 2-1/8" hole saw on top. This trick I read it on a magazine this month.

Reply to
Will

1) Cut a hole the old size (1-3/4") and glue the cutout in the hole.

2) Take a square scrap of wood. Draw a 1-3/4" circle with a compass. Make a pilot hole at the center. Line up the circle with the old door hole. Clamp the scrap in place. Drill the new hole using the scrap as your guide.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Bore the correct hole in a scrap of ply, clamp this where you want the hole and bore away. The scrap will guide the outside of the holesaw. For the best results, bore the skin from both faces in.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

| OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a | Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The | backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but | the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires | 2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the | guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber | saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more | elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job. | | Anyone got a cool trick?

Starrett has a special "Oops" arbor (seriously, that's the name) that lets you use one hole saw as a pilot for a bigger hole saw. It has a 1/4" shank and threads for both saw sizes. I think you might be better off just clamping a piece of wood over the hole as others have suggested, though. When my locksmith did this he used his normal lock jig. Versions of that are available at home stores.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cut a plug to fill the hole, glue it in place, then redrill. You'll even have a pilot hole.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ooh! I like that better than plugging the existing hole!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I used this method for several french doors. Worked like a charm and was dead easy.

Reply to
Sti©ky

I buy rubber arbors for sanding drums. Press in a piece of tubing to act as a pilot bearing.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Once again, the solution to this was illustrated in the latest edition of "The Family Handyman".

Mount two hole saws on the same arbor. Slide the larger one on first so it will be closer to the drill chuck, then slide the 1 3/4" saw on. Tighten both, insert the smaller one in the existing hole, using it as a pilot.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Attach them both to the same arbor?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Kwikset makes a drill jig for just this. I bought one about 15 years ago for my locksmith biz. And have made a pile of money with it. Call a local locksmith and pay him a lot of money.

Plan B is to take two pieces of thin plywood, and a couple C-clamps. Clamp plywood on both sides of the door. Use a carpenters square to mark where the hole oughta be, and drill with a hole saw. I personally can't encourage you to do this, cause it would deprive a brother locksmith of a house call.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might work -- but a lot of extra work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had the same problem replacing Dexter Locks with Baldwins. Our local Ace Hardware Store has a kit that they rent out. It contains a large metal jig that clamps to the door and a 2 1/8 inch forsner bit. Easy, fool proof and fast. Takes about 4 minutes. They rent it out for about $20 for a couple of hours and require a $200 deposit to make sure you use it and bring it back.

Reply to
Bubba

[snip]

I must have seen it, too, but just can't remember where. Both attached to the same arbor, reminded me of an upsidedown wedding cake.

Josie

Reply to
firstjois

That's the best, and easiest, solution so far.

Reply to
willshak