Enlarging a hole for a deadbolt

Page 1 of 3
OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires 2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job.
Anyone got a cool trick?
Fill the hole with wood putty, let it set up and redrill with correct size hole saw Chuck

That's a lot of putty. Could take several applications, and a week or more for all of it to set up. Now I'm wondering about screwing a piece of scrap wood to one side of the door and using that as a target for the guide bit.

but
requires
saber

Yep.
-chib
--
(email: change out to in)

Might work -- but a lot of extra work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Doug Kanter wrote:

How 'bout get a 3/4" thick piece of scrap. Make hole with the new hole saw. Clamp scrap into position over where you want bigger hole. Drill hole.

Turn a hunk of wood down to a taper that'll fit tightly into the existing hole, and have at it. Might want to have the center pre-drilled on the lathe, though. If your hole saw doesn't "quite" go all the way through, like mine, pop the taper out, and re-insert it on the other side. Tom Work at your leisure!

hole,
though.
the
Ummm.....I'm a civilian. Don't own a lathe. Nice idea, though.
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:14:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
Well put a flycutter in your mill and do it that way !
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:27:08 +0100, Andy Dingley

or fire up the CNC laser and save some time....
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:40:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Bored with that. Want a 3D lithography machine now.

Sorry....it's on loan to Smith & Wesson this week! :-)
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:14:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

well, here's your excuse to buy one..lol
Or, you could just build a new solid core door to your specifications and enjoy your woodworking project..

<snip.
existing
You must be a mind reader. This idea's been haunting me, too. My doors are ugly as hell, and the prior owner allowed her kids to put stickers all over them.
On 07 Oct 2004 22:27:32 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith
|Doug Kanter wrote: | |>OK, wizards - here's a situation I can't find a good solution to. I have a |>Yale deadbolt in my back door, and want to replace with a KwikSet. The |>backset (from edge of door to center of hole) is correct for Kwikset, but |>the hole's size is too small. It's about 1-3/4", and the Kwikset requires |>2-1/8". I've got the right size hole saw, but without solid wood for the |>guide bit, I can't see a way for the saw to work correctly. Using a saber |>saw is a possibility, I guess, but I wonder if there's something more |>elegant, as opposed to turning this into a cob job. |> |>Anyone got a cool trick? |> |> |> |How 'bout get a 3/4" thick piece of scrap. Make hole with the new hole |saw. Clamp scrap into position over where you want bigger hole. Drill |hole.
Exactly!
Use a 1-3/4" hole saw as guide and piggy back a 2-1/8" hole saw on top. This trick I read it on a magazine this month.

Ooh! I like that better than plugging the existing hole!
Attach them both to the same arbor?

but
requires
saber
Doug Kanter wrote:

[snip]
I must have seen it, too, but just can't remember where. Both attached to the same arbor, reminded me of an upsidedown wedding cake.
Josie
Will wrote:

That's the best, and easiest, solution so far.