English Walnut

I've been "gifted" several ~40-50" Long, ~20-30" diameter English Walnut logs. They were cut a year ago and not treated or protected. There doesn't seem to be any bug infestation, they were kept on concrete.

These will be sliced up soon, and I see two options;

  1. Slice um with a chainsaw, send um through a Delta 13" planer, or

  1. Slice um with a chainsaw, send an ax through them, stack and wait for winter.

I would like to know if this is worth working on, as it is checked a bit, or is it just firewood?

Reply to
FMB

Sapwood's probably trashed, but you'll never know what's inside until you look. Checks tend to self-heal ~4" in.

If you're using a chain mill, sticker properly as boards and wait until they dry down.

If they're full of checks and unusable as planks, might talk to some turners before burners.

Reply to
George