English Oak sleighback chairs

Hi there,
I have a number of antique English Oak chairs (sleighback style?). We have used them for years, however they are gradually falling apart as the glue fails. So I guess I need to lightly sand the joints and re-glue them back together. My question for the group is: what type of glue would you recommend for an old English Oak chair? And additionally, what is the best way to clean or polish the surface of these chairs (I don't want to damage them)?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jason

I've used Chair Doctor glues, they worked surprisingly well. I would drill a tiny hole near the joint and flood it with this glue, clamp and wait. It locked up the loose joints very well. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,110&p0261
Dave
Thanks for advice, Dave. I've tracked down a local supplier in Australia and will try it out.
Cheers, Jason