Engineered flooring

My right-hand man, who shall remain nameless (Grant), is thinking of doing his basement rec room in wood. Engineered is what we're told, so far, what we should use. Now, I know some of you are humidity and moisture savvy (read Houston). Any brands, things to look for (or out for)?

TIA

Robatoy

I used a Bruce engineered wood floor, adhesive installed on a monolithic slab about 625 ft sq. about seven years ago, no issues, in an area with lots of dew point differential.

I think the engineered floors are more temp, humidiy change tolerant.

I also installed about 300 feet of 2-7/8" wide, 3/4" thick solid oak in my office upstairs. Local salvage company had a shed full of it. When I finished the job the cost of flooring, nails, renting the sander, finish materials, was less than $10/sq. yd. After running those numbers I went back to buy the whole shed full, but it was gone.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

excuse, me that is 2-1/8" which I guess was an industry standard for many years...

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I don't have any big humidity issues here in the Arizona desert, but I did put down Bruce engineered flooring in my dinette area. I did the floating method to get around a slab crack that kept breaking tiles. This stuff is 3" wide and random lengths. I put it over a vapor barrier with a thin foam attached.

It has been great for over two years and wears like iron.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I've used Mannington and Scandian made in Brazil.

worked equally well. Both are very good quality. If below grade you need a poly moisture barrier. I installed both as floating floors and they went in easily and look great.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I put down a floating Maple engineered wood floor in our master bathroom about 5 years ago. It is holding up very well. Would I do it again in a bathroom? No. We don't like having to be very careful about water being spilled/dripped on the floor after a bath or shower. Anywhere else but the kitchen, fine. I don't recall the brand however I got it from HD, I seriously doubt it was a common name brand.

Reply to
Leon

I used bamboo in the kitchen. I thought I'd have trouble with drips from the ice maker and sink but it was fine. The only thing I didn't like about it was the semi-gloss finish. It showed spots pretty badly. No, I wouldn't use it in a bathroom. Tile is too easy.

Reply to
krw

I sure do like the looks of bamboo, but this is for my production manager...he's from Scotland...so wtf does he know about taste?

Reply to
Robatoy

Bamboo is dirt cheap too. I went with it because it was cheaper,=20 including installation, than even a medium grade vinyl (that it=20 replaced). It looks far better. If I'd known how easy to put down=20 I would have done it myself. It would have taken a while but I=20 would have done a better job.

BTW, if you go with bamboo the vertical stuff is much nicer, IMO. I=20 have the horizontal in the great room and dining room of our new=20 place and don't like it nearly as well as the vertical carbonized=20 medium we had in our last home. Also, 6' boards look better than=20 the 3' and are only a little more expensive.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw