Engineer's square

I know what you mean. I think if you were talking about the 434, then you might like a nice place to keep the protractor.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I finally decided to "take the plunge". Seems like it will be helpful in installing a woodworkers vise on the benchtop I want to build (right?). Now I find out neither Rockler nor Woodcraft carry the 12" hardened-steel version (C33H-12-4R). Would have liked to have found it locally, but I can't seem to find a good source near Indianapolis. I contacted Starrett who gave me "two numbers to start with". The first one had been disconnected. Evidently there is more money to be made selling the 9.99 versions.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

FWIW, Amazon has that model for 85 bucks and shipping.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep, $85 including shipping. My wife mentioned she would like to give me a woodworking item for xmas...haven't mentioned anything yet. Did you see that Larry the Cable Guy skit, where he explains that the waitress rubbed his neck, and then he thought "Gosh, I should've asked for....!" ; ) Of course, the truth is that we try to lead a thrifty life style--at least I do. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'd sure like to have a Lee Valley Imperial Micro-Adjust Marking Gauge for Christmas, if anybody wants to get one for me:

think your wife wants to get you one too Bill. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Tempting...but I asked for the square. And two books by James Krenov (Cabinet Makers Notebook and . The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking). That's all I asked for from "santa" this year. : )

Reply to
Bill

Due to the number of requests for a micro-adjust feature, we developed a second model with a slightly longer body fitted with a two-stage collet to allow fine adjustment of the cutting wheel. The collet has a fine-pitch thread; one revolution advances or retracts the wheel 1/32", a half turn

1/64", a quarter turn 1/128", etc. The knurled thumbscrew then locks the setting.

Just $39.50 for the "Imperial Graduated" one... Reminds me of the "Red-rider BB gun with the compass in the stock...". :)

Reply to
Bill

Oh yeah, I've read it. Many times. :-)

Just call me "Ralphie" :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Perhaps we could use our collective minds to develop the design for one using a a threaded steel rod.

The threaded steel rod is my (first) suggestion. A closer inspection indicates that they have tapped the end to hold the cutter. Performing that may not be so easy for those of us not adequately equipped, but surely something could be screwed on the end instead. Take it away...

Reply to
Bill

She does. Take it from me.

I love that guage. I use it constantly. I rarely bitch about anything that LV sells, but I do have one minor complaint with the markings on this tool. I can't really read them and have to use either a micrometer or indirect measuring to set it up. Which is likely the best way anyway, but the markings could be a bit darker.

However, it's still a wonderful marking too.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

4 nuts (may as well choose them chrome plated) , placed two on each side of a cutter which ensure that the cutter could be removed for quick replacement or sharpening. Alternately, the two further from the end could be replaced by one brazed in place. One side of one of the nuts can be marked as a reference for adjustment of the "fence".
Reply to
Bill

Steve,

I picked up a guage on sale at Rockler this month for $9.99 ($5 off). Hopefully it will work well-enough for someone who has never used one before. You were right, my wife snatched it right out of my hand. :-) Please correct me if I am wrong: it can be used to mark mortises and tenons, right? So if I have two 3/4" boards that I mark 1/8" on each side, shaping a tenon out of one board and cutting a mortise in the other, I should get perfect fit, no? It'll never happen? Sand the tenon accordingly? Any tips?

I just read in Woodsmith about a simple jig (just a block) used to make sure the craftsperson cuts the bottom of the dovetail joint (perfectly) square by holding the smooth face of the chisel up against the block while cutting down. Seems like that idea may come in handy for trimming up mortises and tenons too.

I was thinking of making some endtables (as well as a workbench), but I think I should practice my joinery skills on smaller and less-expensive pieces first.

I was admiring their 9" Rockler woodworkers vise while I was there ($129.99). Might come in handy for my woodworking bench... :)

Happy holidays (to all), Bill

Reply to
Bill