End Tables Complete and Placed at Last!

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:57:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Very nice work!
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Thanks

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

NICE VERY NICE !!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Thanks

Rob Leatham

Nice work indeed. The tops are a little bit bigger than I would have made them... but that is a matter of taste.

Really nice work, Mark!
Luigi

The 'work' is nice. The actual build is well executed, but there is a serious design flaw in the overall look of the table. The flare at the top of the legs, plus the excessive rounded overhang of the granite makes the whole design look like the Atlas with the world on his back. It is like the tables are trying to push those tops into the room. The whole thing has a pushy Teutonic feel to it. Engineery... not elegant.
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 02:12:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Robatoy is bitter he didn't get to fab the tops :)
-Kevin

Yea, at $40 - $ 50 per top, that would have put a dent in my overhead. LOL
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:54:04 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

It's not about the money, a fella just likes to be asked.
-Kevin
Kevin wrote:

Well, at 60 pounds each, the shipping from Canada woulda been a killer.

Rob Leatham
Kevin wrote:

Thing is the tops aren't rounded. They are flat with a bevel; the only rounding is at the corners and that's an ergonomic (as in not wanting to bump up against a sharp corner) consideration.

Rob Leatham

De gustibus non disputandum. Looks better than the "looks like it's about to tip over" Krenov's stuff, IMNSHO, or all that clunky mission/ arts and crafts stuff everybody seems to be in love with these days.
Luigi
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:57:39 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita

Outstanding tables, but why the 'lebenty seben pics of them on that one page? Oh, when are you going to reupholster the couch and chairs to match the tables? Ditto recarpeting?
Why did you go with 3 shallow drawers in each one vs a cavern, or a cavernous single drawer? Just curious.
Another kudo for that green granite. 'sbooful.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
Larry Jaques wrote:

Because I couldn't decide which ones not to use. I figured it took 2 years worth of weekends to make, a few more seconds to have the page load wouldn't be *that* bad. I'll probably re-wicker the page in the future and delete a few of the more redundant pictures.

Hah! You think *I'm* going to suggest re-decorating?

The primary reason for going with 3 shallow drawers was that we really didn't need any more deep drawers for stuff to get lost in, particularly in the living room. There is sufficient storage in the entertainment center and elsewhere for big stuff. This was intended to hold smaller things like remotes or other items not requiring cavernous space. Also, the piece just looked better with the three smaller divisions.

Thanks. Since you mentioned you were considering something similar in the future, there were two green granites that we considered, the first, "verde butterfly" has similar pattern to the one we chose "verde uba tuba", but the patterning is much larger. That would work well in a larger setting such as a kitchen cabinet, the smaller patterning on the granite we chose, IMO, worked better on a small piece, lending itself better to the scale of the project.

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Dang! That should have read "kitchen countertop"

Rob Leatham
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 21:43:24 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita

I guess I can't criticize. I went up to the Wildlife Safari in Winston Oregon last month and ended up with 297 digital pics. I love this Nikon D-40 I got last Christmas. It's so much quicker than the old Coolpix 995 it ain't funny.

Of course not. But I've seen many a housewife (enough to never rent one) get that look in here eye just after a new piece of anything hits her home turf. You'll be doing so within the month, Mark.

OK.
http://www.stone-network.com/italy/granite/uba_tuba.html Yuck!
http://fwd4.me/2WJ Much, much nicer.
http://eurasian.com/india/granite/images/seaweed_green_500.jpg Wow!
http://fwd4.me/2WM This Royal Red might go very well with wood, too.
--
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
Larry Jaques wrote:

... snip

Very poor photograph.

The uba tuba finishes the same as this with a much finer-grained finish.

ayup
I would agree with that

Rob Leatham